This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Being a college student is really hard on your bank account. There are so many things that we have to pay for and it adds up very quickly; so I’m all about saving some money. I want to share a few apps that I use here and there to help me save. You may be thinking that there’s a lot of hassle in using apps to save money or that they won’t save you more than a dollar or two, but trust me it’s super simple and it really helps out in the long run.

1. Ibotta

Iboota is an app that I use when I go grocery shopping. All you do is go through and see what items are up for rebates before or after you go shopping. You add items that you are going to buy or have already bought to your rebates, then scan your receipt once you have purchased the items. You receipt is processed (which only takes a few seconds), and then money that your rebate is worth is added to your account. Just like that, you made money for doing something that you have to do all the time. The amount you earn back isn’t something like a few cents, it ranges from a quarter at the lowest to a few dollars depending on the cost of the item (and that’s a win in my book). The good news for my fellow Boonies is that rebates are available at basically every single grocery store here in Boone. In a few months I have already earned $29.50 that I can move straight to my bank account just by buying groceries like I normally would. It’s literally free money!

2. The Plenti App

The Plenti app is something that comes along with a Plenti card, and if you don’t have one you may want to invest in one now. The app has your card electronically downloaded onto it but you can also request  an actual rewards card as well. I use my Plenti card every time I buy gas. Just from swiping my card before getting my gas I have earned $15 in free gas since July. When do you ever get FREE GAS!? The app is full of offers that earn you ‘Plenti points’. Things such as getting gas at an Exxon or Mobil, shopping at Macy’s or Rite-Aid, eating at Chili’s, travel purchases, and even having a Hulu account get you points. Those points add up quickly and can used toward your purchases at the qualifying locations where you use your plenty card.

3. Shopkick      

So many people I know use this app because it is so simple and kind of fun to use. All you have to do is simply walk into the stores and you earn points. If you’re at the mall you can get your workout in by walking to all the stores, at the same time earning free money – a double win. Making purchases and inviting your friends to join the app will earn you points as well. The points that you earn can then be turned into gift cards at partnering stores. This app takes a little longer than a few trips to the mall to get your reward. It requires a lot of points before you get that gift card but it’s so simple and easy the reward you get after a little time is worth it for sure.

4. RetailMeNot                

This app is one that I’m sure most of you have heard of, it is super popular in the retail world hence the name. I work in retail and almost every person who comes to the register has this app pulled up on their phone looking for coupons. With that being said, it’s obviously a good one to have. With thousands of retailers on board there is almost always a coupon to be used at the store you are shopping at. I have gotten some really good coupons and have even scored free stuff with my purchases. This app is super convenient because your coupons can be used straight off of your phone, no hassle of clipping from papers or printing!  

5. Viggle    

Let’s be honest, who doesn’t love sitting down after a long day and getting to watch your favorite TV show? With Netflix and Hulu around, this app may not be as helpful – but there are still things that we have to catch on live TV. Viggle is an app that rewards you for “checking in” to whatever show you’re watching which earns you points that can be turned into gift cards to places such as Starbucks, Barnes and Noble and many more. Who knew all those nights of watching the Bachelor could be so rewarding?

Sources

http://stuarte.co/

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/19/technology/innovation/getglue-viggle/ind…

wikipedia.org

Exxon Mobil 

ibotta.com