5 Delicious Holiday Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Sadly, Thanksgiving break is over, and we have to return to the grind and prepare for exams.  Luckily for me, my family uses Thanksgiving to swap yummy Holiday goodies.  These treats are just what I need to get through the next few weeks at school while keeping up the holiday spirit.  Here are a few of my favorite holiday recipes:

Peppermint Chocolate Coffee

Recipe from: Paula Deen
What you need:

1 TBSP Chocolate Syrup
2 TBSP peppermint syrup or peppermint baking chips
½ cup hot fresh brewed coffee
Whipped cream, for garnish
Chocolate shavings, for garnish

Directions:
Add chocolate syrup, peppermint syrup, and coffee in coffee mug.  Mix together, top with a dollop of whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

Nuts & Bolts
Recipe from: Grandma/Mom
What you need:

1 Cup butter or margarine
2 TBSP (or more) Worcestershire Sauce
½ TSP Celery Salt
½ TSP Onion Salt
½ – ¾ TSP Garlic Salt
2 Cups Cheerios
2 – 2 ½ Cups Pretzel Sticks (thin)
¾ Cup Salted Nuts
5 Cups Chex Cereals (any flavors)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.  Melt butter with seasonings in pan.  Add seasonings after melted to taste.  Pour cereals, nuts, and pretzels into a large pan and coat well with the melted butter and seasoning.  Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.  Cool and store in air-tight containers.

[pagebreak]

Cinnamon Dandies
Recipe from: Grandma/Mom
What you need:
Cream: ½ cup Butter and ½ cup Margarine (or 1 cup Margarine)
 Add:  1 cup Powdered Sugar
            ½ TSP Salt
           (Creaming well)
Add:  ¼ cup Applesauce
           1 TBSP Vanilla
          Blend in 2½ cup flour gradually

Directions:
 Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Take small teaspoons of mixture and shape into balls.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Flatten to an eighth of an inch with bottom of glass dipped in sugar.  Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until edges are lightly brown.  Roll warm cookies in a mixture of ½ cup sugar and 1 ½ TSP of cinnamon. 

Snowball Cookies
Recipe from: Grandma/Mom
What you need:
Cream: ¼ lb butter or margarine
2 TBSP Sugar
Add:     1 TSP Vanilla
             1 cup of flour
             Mix Well
             Stir in 1 cup of finely chopped pecans
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Roll into small balls and bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet for 20 minutes.  While warm, roll in powdered sugar.  Re-dust with powdered sugar when completely cool.

Chex Muddy Buddies
Recipe from: Chex Cereal
What you need:
9 cups Corn Chex, Rice Chex, or Chocolate Chex cereal (or combination)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
½ cup peanut butter
¼ cup butter or margarine
1 TSP vanilla
1½ cups of powdered sugar

Directions: 
Measure cereal into a large bowl and set aside.  Microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter uncovered on High 1 minute.  Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth.  Stir in vanilla.  Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.  Pour into 2-gallon food-storage plastic bag.  Add powdered sugar.  Seal bag; shake until well coated.  Spread on waxed paper to cool.  Store in air-tight container in refrigerator.

Happy Holidays! 

Senior Marketing and Management major at App State.
Laura Maddox is a Senior at Appalachian State University. Laura was born and raised in Charlotte, NC but loves the mountain air in Boone. She is one of four kids and has an identical twin sister. Laura enjoys reading, fashion, blogging, traveling, chocolate, lots of coffee and riding in the car with the windows down. She has a knack for creative writing, doodling and procrastination. Laura plans on moving to Boston after graduation to pursue a career in the advertising industry as a copywriter. Laura loves APP and will always be a Mountaineer fan!