5 Books that Will Help you Discover Your Love to Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

I have noticed that too many twenty-somethings say they don’t read, or dislike reading. This may come from the mandatory reading throughout  high school and college. I have to admit there was nothing fun about reading Dante’s Inferno. Thankfully, reading does not have to feel like a chore or an assignment. There are tons of books out there that are just as captivating as your favorite Netflix series. It takes finding that one special book to trigger this passion. If you’re at a loss to find one of these magical tales below are outlined a few standout books I have read:

Nineteen Minutes: Jodi Picoult

Set in Sterling, New Hampshire, this novel revolves around a school shooting. Peter Houghton, the shooter, finally snaps one day after being bullied by his classmates for years, including his former best friend Josie, who became popular in high school leaving him behind. Not only does this novel examine the aftermath of the shooting but it dives even deeper into the traumatic effects bullying can have. This author also wrote the best-selling novel “My Sister’s Keeper” so be prepared for a bit of a tear jerker. Nineteen Minutes was the book that helped me discover my love to read and to this day is my favorite book. Every time you read it you take something different away due to the complexity of the plot.

The One and Only: Emily Giffin

This story takes place in Walker, Texas, a town which lives and breathes college football. Shae Rigsby is a devoted fan, and family friend to the Walker Texas College football coach. This novel kicks off with an unfortunate tragedy which ignites an unexpected change in Shae’s life. She begins to look at her relationships and her hometown in a whole new light.  Not only is Shae a total badass but she will also inspire any hopeful female sports reporter. Giffin also wrote the best-selling novel (and now movie) “Something Borrowed.” She is great at writing a twisted tale that will keep you wanting more.

A Beautiful Day: Elin Hilderbrand

While in the throws of her little sister’s wedding, Morgot Carmichael attempts to deal with the stress of being the maid of honor as well as keeping her own crumbling life together. Thankfully her late mother Beth has left a journal filled with every detail Margot and the bride, Jenna, could ever need for planning the wedding. The Carmichael family is celebrating their wedding bliss but are also constantly reminded that their mother, who died of cancer six years prior, is not there to witness. This book made me laugh, mostly cry, and also make me feel as though my dysfunctional family isn’t so bad.

The Chaperone: Laura Moriarty

A historical fiction novel set in the time of the prohibition revolves around real life star Lousie Brooks (google her) and her chaperone as they travel from Wichita, Kansas to New York City. The Chaperone was a novel I did not expect to enjoy as much as I did. It gives you insight on social norms within the 1920’s that you wouldn’t necessarily take away from a textbook or history class. You will want to slap little Louise Brooks and be her best friend all at the same time. Any book that can incite that type of feeling for a character is worth reading.

Big Little Lies: Liane Moriarty

This was the hot summer read this year and it will not disappoint. Even Reese Witherspoon read this book (see her Instagram). This novel involves three friends and their children who they have just sent off to kindergarten. It opens with the school’s trivia night where a murder takes place. It describes the details of these three friend’s lives leading up to the fateful trivia night. You will be on the edge of your seat wondering how something so tragic could conspire in a sweet little beach town, but you never know what’s happening behind closed doors.

Ninteteen Minutes The One and Only A Beautiful Day The Chaperone Big Little Lies