absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Best Boone Comfort Foods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

On days when snow covers the ground, and temperatures are in the negatives, the last thing any of us want to do is leave the bed. That only presents one problem…you’ve got to eat. Food is a great reason to get some fresh air right? Check out these classic comfort food for the snowiest of days.

Here are the five best Boone comfort foods for chilly days:

1. Bread bowl of soup from Our Daily Bread.Bread bowls are basically bae. Soup can warm the soul on a snowy or frigid winter day, but when you add the joy of an extra warm-carbalicious-basket of bread around said soup, your soul will rejoice. The picture window at the front of ODB is prime location for watching Boone’s beautiful (and kinda scary…) winter storms while you chow down. As you get to the bottom, some of the best bites are the gooey melted bits of bread at the bottom of your bowl. It’s a lot of food, but if you can handle it, finishing off this meal by eating the bowl itself is the most fun part.Check out ODB’s daily soup specials here.

2. McAlister’s Mac-n-CheeseWhat’s better than the luxury of not having to leave campus? When it’s cold outside, few brave the walk all the way to King Street. Ah, this is where we bless the Boone gods and the Plemmons Student Union for having a McAlisters, better known as one of the best places to order a side of Mac. Not only is it always warm, but it’s creamy and rich. (Warning: McAlister’s Mac can be food coma inducing.)

3. Stick Boy Sticky Bun with Nuts and RaisinsIf you’re looking for an excuse to indulge in a sinfully delicious comforting treat, cold weather is definitely a good one. If you’re trying to satisfy a tricky sweet tooth- Stick Boy is the answer! A local Boone favorite, Stick Boy has a killer bakery filled with to-die-for baked goods, breads, and smoothies. If you’re really looking to splurge- go for a Sticky Bun with nuts and raisins. This gooey concoction will leave your fingers sticky and your stomach happy! Best enjoyed on a cold day with a glass of milk, the sticky bun is without a doubt, one of the bets comfort foods for Boone weather.

*If you love Stick Boy as much as we do, head over to our Facebook page for details on how you could win a Stick Boy gift card!

4. Waffle House Waffle and Scattered Hash-brownsYes, at Her Campus, we know that Casa de Waffle is the go to food for hung-over students and dirty bikers alike. However, a warm chocolate chip waffle and order of hash-browns is sure to help you survive the worst of days. There’s a warm, friendly mood to the inside of the restaurant that’s perfect for lazy days. Besides, there’s two things you can never go wrong with when it comes to comfort food: waffles and potatoes.

5. Boone Bagelry.Last but certainly not least, perhaps the most classic meal for Boonies is a warm bagel from the BB. Although we’re all upset that they’ve discontinued late night (thanks IHOP), it’s hard to be mad when their bagels are just so delicious. Grab a toasted bagel (or have it delivered if it’s too cold to leave bed!) with some of their deliciously flavored home-made cream cheeses, and your taste buds are guaranteed to be pleased.  

Photo Sources:https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2752/4033041137_4ebcfa641b.jpghttp://www.c…

Jordan is a Freshman at Appalachian State working a degree in Communications and Public Relations. She's a member of the Theta-Nu chapter of Alpha Phi, and currently serves as the Director of Target Membership Marketing for the chapter. Jordan is an intern newsdesk reporter at The Appalachian campus paper. In her free time, she loves being lazy with the gent, Lee, and their puppies; Macey, Jack, and Ruby. Her dream job is to be a News Anchor.