4 Spring Break Destinations Worthy of a Road Trip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Spring Break is quickly approaching, which means college students across the nation are planning trips to Florida, Mexico, or other tropical destinations. But if you’re struggling to figure out where to go, you don’t have to go far to have fun! There are plenty of places in North Carolina and surrounding states to explore and discover for the whole week of Spring Break. Spring Break is the time to let loose, forget about school, relax, and have fun while the weather starts to get slightly warmer. Here are five places to go that aren’t too far from home:

1. Nashville, Tennessee

Music City! If you are a fan of country music, then Nashville is the place for you. It’s got that perfect country feel but in a big city. Not only is Nashville’s restaurant and bar scene one of the best, but they are also known for having plenty of famous tourist attractions. From the Grand Ole Opry to the Country Music Hall of Fame, you will never get bored in this booming city.

2. Charleston, South Carolina

Charleston is the perfect southern beach town to explore with good friends. Charleston has their own King Street but it is very different than the one we have in Boone. Their King Street has tons of shopping from H&M to Palm Avenue, they have it all! There is also a lot of history in Charleston. Taking a walk along the battery to see all the old mansions should definitely be on your bucket list. There is also an outdoor market where locals sell homemade crafts and the famous sweet grass baskets. You never know what you might discover in Charleston.    

3. Asheville, North Carolina

If you don’t want to go far from Boone, Asheville is the perfect spot. It has the mountain town feel like Boone, but is also very modern and has that big city feel. Downtown Asheville’s shopping is amazing, and the Asheville area is home to 21 craft breweries along with having roughly 100 different local beers you can enjoy. Not to mention, Asheville is also the home of the Biltmore Estate.

4. Washington D.C.

So, this one is a little farther than the others, but you can definitely still drive to it. Washington D.C. has enough museums, monuments, and memorials to keep you busy all week! You can go to the National Archives Museum and pretend like you’re Nicholas Cage, or take a walk down the National Mall to see the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial. D.C. also has a pretty cool nightlife with lots of swanky bars and pubs to choose from.

Alli Cook

App State

Appalachian State UniversitySeniorPublic Relations and Marketing
I am a 2015 graduate of Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina. I graduated summa cum laude with a degree in communication, journalism. Upon graduation, I moved to Nashville, Tennessee to work for my college sorority, AOII. I am currently the Assistant Director of Communications of AOII and Editor of our internationally-circulated magazine, To Dragma. I'm a fitness enthusiast through and through. I love weightlifting, running and boxing, and I am always up for a new workout! I am also a coffee addict with a killer sweet tooth. When I'm not at work or at the gym, you can find me scoping out the latest and greatest coffee and donut spots in Nashville.  I've been part of the Her Campus team since 2012, when I joined App State's team of writers. I was the CC of my chapter my senior year, as well as a Chapter Advisor. I have remained a CA since graduating, and I love having the opportunity to stay connected to Her Campus in this role!