30 Things I Wish I Had Known as a Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

1.      Heels are not the best walking shoes for campus.

2.      Cookout milkshakes make any day better.

3.      You can create your own major if you work hard to get it approved.

4.      Wash your sheets at least every two weeks.

5.      Never underestimate the art of sucking up…a professor is much more likely to help you out or round your grade up if they know who you are.

6.      If a relationship causes you more stress than happiness end it.

7.      “Working out” doesn’t have to involve the elliptical.

8.      Shopping at “The Market” and getting coffee everyday adds up quickly.

9.      Don’t be afraid to give a guy a compliment. Worst case scenario? He says thank you. Best case scenario? You get married and have his babies.

10.  Keep an umbrella in your bag at all times.

11.  Condoms and birth control only work if you use them correctly every time.

12.  You don’t have to be best friends with your roommate. But if you wake up in the middle of the night to this……. Be very afraid.

13.  Use the gym and meal plan to your advantage. This is one of the only times in your life that you get to use a “free” gym and have people cook for you. Plus the BBQ on Tuesdays in Roess is the ish.

14.  Wear flip flops in the shower, always.

15.  Learn from your mistakes. Nobody wants to take care of your drunken self every weekend.

16.  Hike, swim, take a P.E. class you’ve never tried before, camp, slackline, sled, hammock’ it up at Appstate. Take part in all this beauty around you!

17.  Take any internship or traveling opportunity you can.

18.  Don’t room with your best friend. You may end up hating each other.

19.  Eat local. Chili’s will still be there when you go back home.

20.  Don’t mix your liquors.

21.  Eat healthy 80% of the time. The freshman 15 is real ya’ll.

22.  But… also reward yourself during a tough week. Sometimes you don’t feel like cooking a healthy meal when you’re pulling an all-nighter. I recommend Hungry Howie’s.

23.  Get ready for class the night before. Pack your lunch; pick out your outfit, etc. Make it easy on yourself to make it to that 8am.

24.  Tech support and health services are free. Don’t be afraid to use them when needed.

25.  Bring a book or a friend to get your books with. Standing in line for three hours with nothing to do is the worst. Or better yet, wait a week and a half to get your books.

26.  Try the cheer wine cake in Roess.

27.  Create your own blank test and fill it out without your notes before a test. Trust me-reading over flashcards isn’t the best way to study.

28.  Bring wet wipes to big house parties. There’s never enough toilet paper.

29.  Don’t skip class. It’s flushing money down the drain.

30.  Speaking of money, don’t forget to call your parents and thank them from time to time. They don’t have to help you. And if you are supporting yourself entirely, have two cookout milkshakes. 

Live it up this year, ladies!!!

Images from:

http://www.liberty.edu/media/9930/bloggers/lizzy/Cook-out_milkshake.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8152/7705817978_e75faf8b8f_z.jpg

http://www.btmreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/slimer.jpg

I am a Junior at App majoring in Apparel Design and Merchandising. I love dresses, thrifting, playing soccer, reading magazines, celebrity closets, bubble baths, mom & pop restaurants, and giving relationship advice. I hate waking up early, band aids, Dr. Phil, and men with big muscles.