2016 Election: Post Iowa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Happy Election Season!

On February 1,  the people of Iowa kicked off the 2016 election season by essentially splitting into local groups and deciding whom they wish to give the big-ticket nomination to. This is a time when undecided voters are the target audience and the candidates try to convince them they are the right man, or woman, for the job. Coming out on top in the Iowa caucus could mean more money to a campaign and more national exposure. These results could end up significantly helping, or hurting, a candidate’s campaign.

It was a close race for the Democratic Party winner between Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders. Hillz came out on top, but by less than 1 percent. No one was expecting it to be such a close call, so this shakes things up for the coming caucuses and primaries. Martin O’Malley was also hoping to get the Democratic nomination, but he was not a hit in Iowa and has suspended his bid. Then there were two.

To the surprise of many, Donald Trump was not the winner for the Republican Party, but instead Ted Cruz took the cake for the first big vote of 2016. Trump and “his people” say this loss could be because of his bold move skipping the debate before Iowa. Regardless, Cruz has an oval-shaped target on his back now as the candidates prepare for the New Hampshire Primary on February 9.

The Iowa caucuses also caused a few Republicans to suspended their candidacy. Mike Huckabee, Rick Santorum, and Rand Paul, decided the job wasn’t for them. It’s looking like the race is between Ted Cruz, Donald Trump, Marco Rubio and Ben Carson. Jeb Bush, John Kasich, Carly Fiorina and Chris Christie are hanging on by a thread and hoping for honorable mentions.

Important Dates to know:

March 1Super Tuesday. A lot of states have their primary this day, expect the numbers of candidates to be cut down after these results are in.

March 15: NC Primary day. This is a pretty good prediction as to what the numbers say will happen in November.

Sept 26- Oct 19: A whole bunch of debating between the final two. They both want your vote. Watch and listen to find out why they should get it.

Nov 8: Election Day! You have heard their speeches, seen their campaigns and now it is time to decide who gets to be commander-in-chief of this great nation. Your vote matters!

Don’t know who are voting for? This website asks about your stance on different issues that will be addressed in this election and shows you what percentage you agree with each candidate and where you agree and disagree. Doesn’t mean you have to vote for your #1 match, just a quick and easy way to see whom you agree with.

https://www.isidewith.com/

Sources:

https://thejaggedworddotcom.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/campaign-2016.jpeg

https://45.media.tumblr.com/68a0b0fe9c5a20751f47e311ba62355b/tumblr_nej5…