This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

While everyone can benefit from taking a self-defense class, not all of us get that opportunity. Here are some preventative measures and other ideas to keep you out of dangerous situations.

1. Lock your doors.

Whether you are in the dorms or in an apartment, make sure to lock your doors not only when you leave, but also when you’re inside. I know I am tempted to leave my door unlocked when my roommate is out late at night, but safety is always more important than someone else’s convenience. Also, remember to lock your car doors when driving; an attacker can jump in your car while you are stopped at a traffic light.

2. Don’t travel alone.

One of the best ways to avoid being a target is to stay in groups.  If you can’t find someone to walk with you, see if you can take the appalcart or saferide instead. You should also take the safest routes even if they take longer.

3. Be alert.

Don’t wear headphones or text while walking alone because you are more likely to be a target when you look distracted. Also, some experts say that walking confidently can help because you will look less timid and vulnerable. You can also get App Alerts texted to your phone so you know what’s going on

4. Keep valuables hidden.

Keep a sweatshirt in your car to cover up electronics or keep them in your trunk. Be careful when talking about money or valuables you may keep in your room.

5. Use caution when opening doors or rolling down windows for strangers.

As upsetting as it is to ignore someone who wants you to roll your window down, or help carry something to their car, it is important to remember that there are bad people out there who will use your friendliness against you. If someone asks you for help and you feel uncomfortable, call the police and ask them for assistance.

[pagebreak]

6. Police aren’t just there for emergencies.

911 is great when you know you are in danger, but what about when you think you are being followed, or aren’t sure the car trying to pull you over is a real police officer? If an unmarked car is trying to pull you over, or the blue lights and siren don’t look official to you, call the police department and ask them to verify the car, and tell them you will pull over at a well-lit location. This prevents you from getting in trouble. You can also call a non-emergency line when you need an escort in the middle of the night or feel unsafe. Make sure to keep important numbers in your phone and on speed dial so you don’t have to look them up during a bad situation.

7. Know your options.

There are many objects on the market that can protect you and make you feel safer. There are BB guns that look like real guns, pepper spray, whistles, pens that have sharp attachments, and so on.  If you don’t want to buy a real weapon, always consider what items you have with you. Hairspray can work as pepper spray if you don’t have any, and a key held between your fingers can be used as a weapon, if need be. High heels can also be used to stab or gouge eyes. However, practice using your weapons, because anything that can hurt a potential attacker can be used against you if they get ahold of it.

8. Use your voice. 

If someone is following you and you feel uncomfortable, you need to do everything you can to deter them from putting hands on you. Yell at them to quit following you while running to the closest public area or emergency phone. Screaming and calling attention to yourself can work well since attackers don’t want to be seen or caught.

9. Know the easiest ways to inflict pain on an attacker.

Unless you have taken a RAD class (available at Appalachian!) or self-defense, you don’t want to try to do something elaborate to get away because it can backfire. Kick them as hard as you can at the side of the knee, thrust your palm up into their nose, or even gouge their eyes with your fingers and nails. You can look up step by step tutorials of this on YouTube or other sites.

10. Keep your drink with you at parties.

Never set your drink down at parties or accept a drink that was made by someone else. You should also plan beforehand how you will get home and who will be with you.

Never be afraid to take safety precautions even when people might think you are being paranoid. It is better to be safe than sorry, and hopefully these tips have given you some ideas to think about and implement. Stay safe collegiettes!

University PoliceEmergency: x8000 (262-8000)Non-Emergency: x2150 (262-2150)

Saferide: (828)262-7433

I am a Junior at App majoring in Apparel Design and Merchandising. I love dresses, thrifting, playing soccer, reading magazines, celebrity closets, bubble baths, mom & pop restaurants, and giving relationship advice. I hate waking up early, band aids, Dr. Phil, and men with big muscles.