10 Groovy, Chill, and Vibing Tunes to get you through This Week 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

We all have those moments in life when putting on your favorite tunes seems to solve all your problems. For us college and university students, finals are approaching and dead week is headed our way; there isn’t a better time than now to update your playlist! This 36-minute playlist is the perfect mix of EDM, Groove, Indie, Pop, and more to ignite your soul and get you calm, collected, and motivated. 

Lie to Me – Vera Blue

This is one of Vera Blue’s newest singles released on August 30, 2020. Vera Blue does a wonderful job of incorporating EDM beats with groovy sounds that all come together to create a very serene environment. This newest single is one that will make you want to bob your head and sway your heart out. 

Body – Loud Luxury and Brando

I’m going to be biased and say this is a great dance tune. Every time this song comes on I can’t help but stop what I’m doing and dance around like a lunatic. Everyone knows this song as a party bop, but it’s also a great pick-me-up. The slow and calm beats make for a really exciting pre-chorus and chorus. I challenge you to not dance or sing along; it’s pretty much impossible.  

Kill The Lights – Alex Newell, Jess Glynne DJ Cassidy, and Nile Rodgers

I first heard this song while watching RuPauls Drag Race Season 12. This song came on when one of my favorite contestants, Jackie Cox, was up for elimination. She was meant to go home but Mama Ru said. “Shante, you both stay.” Because of this moment, this song not only has a great upbeat rhythm and tune, but it has a special place in my heart. I encourage you all to listen to this song when you’re feeling exceptionally stressed and just get up and move. 

It Takes Time- Courier Club

For all of my Alternative and Indie folks, this song for you. This song is really spunky and upbeat which is a good switch after listening to some of the more Pop-like songs on this playlist. If you’re not a fan of Alternative music, I encourage you to give this one a listen since it has great upbeat elements which might make you switch over to listening to more Alternative music. 

On Some High – Sebastian Paul

This is one of Sebastian Paul’s most popular songs for a reason: It’s amazing! If you love EDM and more indie kinds of music, Sebastian Paul is the new artist to look to. His music has deep bass with calming undertones of flutes and earth sounds that make his songs unique and really fun to listen to. If you are looking to transition into newer music, this is a great song to listen to. 

Hot Girl Bummer – blackbear

Blackbear is a very well known rapper and singer today. His music relates to many people which makes listening to his music much more enjoyable. His song ‘Hot Girl Bummer’ has a really chill beat throughout which makes the chorus that much better. If you are into more chill Rap songs, I would suggest giving blackbear’s other songs a chance!

Love Myself – Olivia O’Brien

If you are looking for a woman empowerment song, look no further. Olivia O’Brien’s ‘Love Myself’ is the ultimate motivational song for picking yourself up and moving forward. She is known for her song ‘Hate U, Love U’ which came out in 2016 and became the reason for her fame. Since then, she has made other songs which are just as amazing. This song is a pop song with a really strong bass which makes this song perfect for playing loud and singing along. 

Grey – Slenderbodies

If you need a real calm and funky beat, stop what you’re doing and put this song on. Music is known to create a sense of euphoria within us, and this song does that for me. When you are feeling stressed and uneasy, pop this song on and just listen. Close your eyes and let the smooth beats relax you. I promise this song is one that will not disappoint. 

Take Me Out – Franz Ferdinand

This is nowhere near a new song, but it is one that never gets old! This song came out in 2004 and is still one that makes you want to vibe and dance. ‘Take Me Out’ is the ultimate concert song to make any unhappy camper smile and groove. Coronavirus has us on lockdown in our homes, but who says you can’t blast this song and make your own concert. 

Here I Am – SOJA and Rebelution

Sadly, we have made it to the end of the list. ‘Here I Am’ is a very calming yet still upbeat song that has a more Reggae tone to it. If you love songs that are more rough-edited, uses a mainly acoustic, and gives off a raw vibe, this the one for you. When I am stressed and feel a bit uncollected, songs such as this one always help to recenter my mind and focus. If you aren’t a big fan of Reggae, no problem, this song is a great mix of other genres that make it irresistible to listen to. 

Life lately has been a rollercoaster, but I promise things can only get better. Music seems to be one thing which brings people together all over the world. I hope this playlist not only allows you to listen to new genres you typically wouldn’t but motivates you to get into a positive headspace. Finals are closing in, so don’t let your mind close up too! Enjoy lovelies and I’ll see you next week!

Ariana Fuentes

App State '23

Optimistic at the moment