Weird College Slang

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

I always thought I would change so much once I came to college, but I must say a lot more about me has stayed exactly the same. I’ve made new friends, found a home in a completely new environment, and become way more independent, but I can’t say my personality has changed that much. I must say, the thing that has changed the most is my language. Here is a compilation of a couple of the weird things people I know and sometimes I myself say. (I’m sorry, I hate it too, but I still say it.):

1. Dank

At first, this word had very different connotations, but now it’s like a catch-all word. I don’t know if it even means anything the way I use it (which is definitely incorrectly), but I’m not the only one. Now, dank can mean cool, bad, weird, strange, etc.

2. Tilted

I think my friend had the best explanation for this word. Imagine you are a ball perfectly balanced on the top of a hill. Then, suddenly, a large gust of wind hits you, and you start rolling down the side. You start rolling faster and faster until you finally slam into the ground. That is being tilted.

3. Aggro

This is a short way of saying aggressive because three syllables is 3 much.

4. Day-tush

I just heard this one, but apparently, it means that something is great. In addition, this term is extremely versatile, as you can substitute the D for nay-tush, o-tush, and various other –ay rhyming words.

5. Meme-ing

Somehow memeing is not just a noun. If someone is making you into a meme or becoming a meme in front of your very eyes, that person is meme-ing.

6. Yeet

Yeah, this is probably just me, but this is your signal that you just dissed someone, or you witnessed a diss.

7. Sus

Same reason as #3, but for the word “suspicious”. 

Bonnie is a sophomore at Amherst College. Even though she studies statistics, she is interested in technology, pediatric medicine, dentistry, education, and public health.  She spends most of her day trying out new things, like eating an ice cream cone while biking or looking for ways to climb onto campus building roofs. "All over the place" would be the best way to describe her.