Top 10 Restaurants to Take Your Parents To This Family Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Stuck in a dining rut?  Or broke despite your campus job?  No worries, it’s almost family weekend and you’re guaranteed some excellent free meals (thanks, Mom and Dad) before you have to return to Val.  If your parents are tired of going to Fresh Side with you every time they visit, here’s a list of restaurants that will introduce them (and possibly you) to a whole new side of the Pioneer Valley.

1. Blue Heron, Sunderland, MA
They describe their food as “all-world cuisine” and incorporate local produce and organic meats. Lead by a self-taught chef Deborah Snow, your parents are sure to love the beautiful historic town hall turned restaurant and the sophisticated and delicious food.  It’s definitely worth the twenty-minute drive for the decadence you’ll find at the Blue Heron.
Price Range: entrées $20-$32
Takes Reservations: Yes, 413-665-2102
Good for: Dinner

2. Chez Albert, Amherst, MA
Recently moved (it’s now past CVS), Chez Albert’s classic French cuisine is sure to impress your parents.  With their attention to local farms and their simple philosophy, they have won Best French Restaurant in the Valley from the Valley Advocate for the last five years. Reservations are a must, and I would advise placing yours immediately.
Price Range: entrées $22-26, lunch $9-$14
Takes Reservations: Yes, 413-253-3811
Good for: Lunch, Dinner

3. Tabella, Amherst, MA
Tabella calls itself “Farm to Table Dining” and brags that 80% of the food they serve is locally grown or produced.  Tabella also offers a unique dining experience.  Order a few large and small plates for the whole table (the serving of these will then be staggered because they don’t use heat lamps) and sample it all to fully enjoy their classic American cuisine.
Price Range: large plates $24-27, small plates $4-$14
Takes Reservations: Yes, 413-253-0220
Good for: Dinner

4. Osaka, Northampton, MA
Back in Portland, Oregon I can stuff my face with sushi for less than $10. Needless to say, the East Coast isn’t like that, so I’ve had to adjust—aka I only have Japanese food when someone else is paying the bill.  Osaka has been voted 1st place “Best of the Valley” by the Village Advocate for the last eight years. Yes, it’s really that good. Even if your parents aren’t bringing/renting a car, the quick trip on the PVTA is seriously worth it.
Price Range: entrées $11-28, rolls $6-$14
Takes Reservations: Yes, 413-587-9548
Good for: Dinner

5. Zen, Northampton, MA
Despite their obnoxious website (it seriously opens with “Prepare yourself for sumptuous indulgence”, and won’t stop playing mood music), Zen is a delicious pan-Asian restaurant that is sure to appease parents with broader tastes.  Definitely try some dumplings.
Price Range: entrées $15-$18
Takes Reservations: Yes, 413-582-6888
Good for: Dinner

[pagebreak]

6. Paradise of India, Amherst, MA
If you’re in the mood for Indian food, you can’t go wrong with Paradise of India.  A little pricey if you’re a student on a budget, since the portions are small and the Naan costs extra, but the food is great, and the way the food is served allows for sharing.
Price Range: $14-$17
Takes Reservations: No
Good for: Lunch, Dinner

7. Lone Wolf, Amherst, MA
Did your parents invite you to a brunch you are going to be horribly hung-over for?  Lone Wolf’s got you covered.  Owned by Rob Watson, who also owns Black Sheep, this is the classy brunch place you want your parents to take you to.  With mostly deliciously carb-heavy brunch entrées (try the Eggs Benedict), Lone Wolf also has an extensive vegan and, surprisingly, Mexican menu.
Price Range: $6-$10
Takes Reservations: No
Good for: Brunch

8. Bistro 63 at Monkey Bar, Amherst, MA
Only ever been to Monkey Bar on bar night?  Try it out when your parents are in town.  View the transformation of the banquet room and enjoy everything from pescatore to steak. Be sure to make reservations.
Price Range: entrées $15-$22
Takes Reservations: Yes, 413-259-1600
Good for: Dinner

9. Fitzwilly’s, Northampton, MA
With a very extensive menu, Fitzwilly’s is the ultimate place for comfort food, and perfect to take your parents to if you’ve been desperately missing real burgers (Val, quarter-inch patties are not real burgers) or any other American staple.  They take reservations, but it’s not a must.
Price Range: entrées $14-$23
Takes Reservations: Yes, 413-584-8666
Good for: Lunch, Dinner

10. Bertucci’s, Amherst, MA
Bertucci’s is a little further down Pleasant St. than you’re probably used to going, but their selection of everything Italian is worth it.  Try the brick oven pizzas or one of their pasta dishes. Also, they’re celebrating their 30th Anniversary so you might get a free piece of birthday cake!
Price Range: entrées $12-$23
Takes Reservations: Yes, 413-549-1900
Good for: Dinner

Runner up: Judie’s, Amherst, MA
Really?  You have all this variety in the nearby area and you’re going to take your parents to Judie’s?  Fine.  The popovers with apple butter are delicious, and your parents probably love the homey feel.  But shame on you for your lack of originality.

Evelyn is the Editor-in-Chief of the Amherst branch of Her Campus. She was a features intern at Seventeen Magazine during the summer of 2011 and a features intern at Glamour Magazine during the summer of 2013. She is a French and English major in the class of 2014 at Amherst College. She is also on Amherst's varsity squash team. She is an aspiring travel writer/novelist, and loves running, ice cream, and Jane Austen.