Spring Break Playlist!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

For many of us college students, Spring Break is the highlight of our spring semester, or maybe even of the year.  Whether it consists of a trip home, journeying over to Cancún, hitting up Ultra, or competing in sporting events, it is essential to have a great playlist for those long travel days and mildly embarrassing jam-out sessions with friends and family.  Here are some suggestions to add to your Spring Break playlist!

1.  ‘Pompeii’ by Bastille

Anyone who has ever driven with me knows that this is my go-to song, but I really think that it is a crowd pleaser.  With a pretty cool vibe and “eh-eh-o eh-o’s” that remind us of The Lion King, I can honestly say that it gets the whole car chanting.

2.  ‘#SELFIE’ by The Chainsmokers

Many of you may laugh when you hear this song or even roll your eyes, but I promise that it is fun for all.  Between the tacky dialogue, catchy beat, and notorious line of “LET ME TAKE A SELFIE,” this song will have you clutching for your smartphone and laughing with friends.

3.  ‘All Night’ by Icona Pop

Let us be honest.  Who does not like to belt out “I Love It?”  Icona Pop’s “All Night” has a similar effect.  Do you think that “we could do this all night” will be the new Spring Break motto?

4.  ‘Happy’ by Pharrell Williams

Simply put, this song makes you happy and want to smile, which is perfect for Spring Break.

5.  ‘XO’ by Beyoncé

I think it is a given that we pay tribute to Queen Bey.  “XO” is my personal favorite from her latest album, but “Partition” and “Drunk In Love” are also great tracks to add to the mix.

6.  ‘Timber’ by Pitbull & Ke$ha

I think it goes without saying that “Timber” belongs on your playlist. If you thik it is overplayed, you are just wrong. Is it the next “Call me maybe?”

7.  ‘Make a Move’ by Gavin DeGraw

Call me biased, but I am a big fan of Gavin, so he is always on my playlist.  After  “Best I ever had,” this track is one of my favorites on DeGraw’s latest album.

8. ‘Young Folks’ by Peter Bjorn And John

Maybe I just like this song because it reminds me of Gossip Girl, but “Young Folks” is a great slower addition to your playlist.  Plus, it is pretty timeless and just makes you want to whistle.

9.  ‘Girls Chase Boys’ by Ingrid Michaelson

Released just last month, “Girls Chase Boys” quickly climbed to the top of my Spotify playlist.  I promise though, it is not your ordinary “breakup song.”  Plus, this beat is pretty unbeatable (no pun intended)—it gets the whole car jamming.

10. ‘Cruise’ by Florida Georgia Line (particularly the remix with Nelly)

Whether or not you go somewhere warm over Spring Break, it usually provides a little preview of summer.  It is crucial then to listen to a song that reminds you of summer.  “Cruise” was a top hit last summer and simply put, it makes you want to roll your windows down and cruise.  It is perfect for that road trip.

11. ‘Goodbye’ by Glenn Morrison

This song is the perfect mix of a great beat and lyrics you can jam to. It is a nice change of pace, especially because I cannot really decide what genre it is. So, listen to it like five or six times and decide for yourself… (is it synthpop??) 

12. ‘Running If You Call My Name’ by HAIM

Not only are the three sisters who make up the band HAIM incredibly cool, but they also really know how to bring together a harmony. This song’s slow start shows off their vocals and when it picks up its hard not to want to listen to it over and over again. Their debut album, Falling, has some other really good tracks including ‘Don’t Save Me’ and ‘The Wire’.

13. For the thirteenth song on your playlist pick an oldies classic like ‘Won’t Back Down’ by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers or ‘Judy Blue Eyes’ by Crosby, Stills, and Nash. Have fun with it and you will be surprised how many words you actually remember of these songs!

Happy Driving/Flying/Skiing/Sitting on a beach!

Amherst College Senior, Amherst, MA. Member of Amherst Women's Varsity ice hockey team. Hometown is Washington, D.C