This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Rimmel is a good drugstore brand, so when I picked up their 24HR Supercurler Mascara, I had medium-level expectations. The box listed several very bold claims—instantly lifts lashes 90°, holds curl for twenty-hour hours, eliminates need for eyelash curler—so I was somewhat dubious when I tried it on. Lifts lashes 90°, seriously? Holds curl for twenty-four hours? My eyelashes would have fallen off my eyelids around the twenty-hour mark if this $4.99 (as listed on Target’s website) mascara really held and lifted them for twenty-four hours at 90°.

I have straight, medium-length eyelashes that start drooping half an hour after curling. Needless to say, the mascara failed where the eyelash curler failed as well—at least the curler managed to curl my lashes, even if just for half an hour. The mascara did manage to lift them a tiny, tiny bit, perhaps around 10°. A few random lashes were lifted by the wand above their fellows, but there was certainly no 90° action going on here.

The formula was also a bit dry, compared to my L’Oreal Voluminous Butterfly. I liked the drier formula because it didn’t clump my eyelashes as much. I’m not a fan of spider eyelashes, no matter how hard Maybelline tries to make it fetch. Another claim on the box was “buildable volume,” but I got maybe two coats on before clumping started to happen. This might be the fault of my medium-length lashes, but the wand was too big to work with comfortably.

My eyelashes were definitely more noticeable with this mascara on than just barefaced, but nothing crazy happened: no 90° lift, dramatic volume, or noticeable length. I like it because it looks like I’m wearing mascara without being clumpy or heavy. Sophisticated and subtle. If that’s what you’re looking for, 24HR Supercurler Mascara checks those boxes without being expensive. If, however, you are looking for that twenty-hour hold at 90°, I am afraid that this is not the mascara for you.

***

Check out the website: https://us.rimmellondon.com/flexible-campaign/24-hr-supercurler-mascara

Debbie is a sophomore at Amherst College.
Bonnie is a sophomore at Amherst College. Even though she studies statistics, she is interested in technology, pediatric medicine, dentistry, education, and public health.  She spends most of her day trying out new things, like eating an ice cream cone while biking or looking for ways to climb onto campus building roofs. "All over the place" would be the best way to describe her.