My Semester in Spain: Part 7

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

This installment was written in a cafe in London with the help of Devyn Gardner. My life is better than yours.         With just under four weeks to go, it’s setting in that the abroad experience that I had been looking forward to for ever is coming to an end. Here are some things I’m excited to get back to, and some things I’m going to miss.           Things I miss almost as much as my dog:         1. My family and friends. Being abroad has made me appreciate my family, home friends and Amherst friends more than ever. The comfort of knowing that my parents are only a couple of hours away is something that I miss terribly.           2. Choosing my own food. Coming home to a cooked meal every night is nice. Coming home to a cooked meal that I would actually enjoy eating would be better.  Living in a home stay, there’s no choosing between different food options or saying no to a certain meal. And there’s only so much ham and cheese one girl can eat.           3. The Amherst campus. I miss being able to leave my dorm at 8:27 for my 8:30 class. I also really miss Frost. And Val sits. And Memorial Hill. And weirdly enough, I miss the socials.           4. English. Spanish is a really cool language but I will just never overcome this language barrier. I miss having the ability to say exactly what I want, to whomever I want, whenever I want to.           5. Flayvors. The Loose Goose. Munday’s chicken fingers and milkshakes.          Things I’m going to miss terribly:          1. My host family. Regina and Carlos may be the two cutest people in the entire world. My room is always clean and there is always more than enough food to be eaten. I have tea waiting for me every afternoon. In a way, I have two adopted grandparents, and to use a traditional Spanish phrase, they are the bomb.com          2. The nightlife. Not that I go out nearly as much as I should, but always having the option to go out is liberating. There isn’t as much pressure to go out here. In a city that only sleeps during siesta time, missing out on a Saturday isn’t considered social suicide. There will be other opportunities.            3. Traveling. Before this semester, I had never been to Europe. Now I’ve explored most of Spain. I’ve visited Munich, Dublin, Florence, Venice, Lisbon, Cintra and London. I have a trip to Rome in a couple weeks. I’ve been exposed to so many different places and cultures and peoples. I’m excited to get back to Europe!            4. The weather. I’m going to miss sitting in the sunshine in a park in November. I am in no way excited to go back to a northeast winter. And don’t get me started on the humidity.            5.  My new friends. But now I have real life colleges to visit with real life parties.            6. Being able to pillow talk with Devyn Gardner every night while sleeping in a room smaller than South 111.            I’m going to miss this entire, wonderful opportunity. I am not exaggerating when I say I believe I’m the luckiest person in the entire world. I never want to leave. But there are a million things about home I can’t wait to get back to. This list doesn’t begin to cover how great Europe is, but it also barely touches upon the things from home that I love. I guess what I’m trying, and failing, to articulate is that I have a good problem here. Until next time, America. 

Amherst College Senior, Amherst, MA. Member of Amherst Women's Varsity ice hockey team. Hometown is Washington, D.C