Meet Mohamed Ramy ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Known as Ramy around campus, Mohamed Ramy ’18 is one of the most friendly people you will ever meet.  Learn about his passions as Amherst, his vision for the Middle Eastern Students and Studies Association and why he always seems to be smiling!

Tell me about where are you from:

The easy answer is that I’m from Cairo, Egypt. The city I know is always bustling with people and without a doubt always awake (New York sleeps, y’all). It is a place where I can be sure to get a sandwich – fool or ta’meya – worth my money with my brother. It is a place where the people will smile at you and kindly answer your questions. It is a place that is diverse (in a very different sense from the U.S.) and dynamic. It is also a place that be cruel and unjust to many. In sum, it is a place to explore forever.  

How does the weather at Amherst compare to the weather back home?

Oh, dear. The coldest I have ever been in Egypt was when I had to wait for the bus at 6 AM in December for high school. It was 10 ℃ (50 ℉). It is October here at Amherst, MA, and it is –2 ℃ (28.4 ℉) right now, people. I remember my first semester at Amherst so well because I started wearing ear muffs late September. If you see me, help me stay warm somehow.  

Why did you choose to attend Amherst?

I chose to attend Amherst because of its generous financial aid and open curriculum. The second was really important to me – not more than the first, though – because I did not want to take physics. Turns out, physics is a pre-med requirement…great, I thought. It seemed like an inspiring place to be for an aspiring international student. Its size meant that I would form long-lasting relationships with professors and students. On another note, I really did not want to be a Jumbo.  

What are you interested in both academically and leisurely?

I’m interested in exploring and developing the field of neuroscience, specifically brain plasticity research. It excites me to know anything about the brain! For that reason, the science of arguments, philosophy, also gets my blood flowing. I mean, Sisyphus must be happy, c’mon.

I think for leisure I love watching good movies – emphasis on the good. If you take me to a meaningful movie, I will love you. Reading about history and social concepts is also a great way to keep myself in check of the privileges I have.  

What are you passionate about the most?

I am passionate about making people comfortable in their skin – my wish is that everyone wakes up happy. So, I try my best to have a positive impact on the lives that I meet because I know for a fact that everyone is struggling with something. It makes me feel driven in all aspects of my life to know that I can make someone’s day. Good human interactions are my passion.  

Tell me the best memory of your first year:

My best memory of my first-year is going on a walk late at night after the bonfire with six friends on the bike path. We were vulnerable and naïve. We were in love and at peace. It was a moment that I felt truly integrated into the Amherst community. I was not tokenized or offended. As I gazed up at the sky, I saw only beauty and did not think of the political turmoil in my country. For a moment, the guilt of leaving my country vanished. I was happy the entire walk.  

What are your plans for the rest of your time at Amherst and beyond?

I want to make Amherst more aware about the underrepresented groups on campus such as Middle Easterners and Arabs. It is something I am working on as co-chair of the Middle Eastern Students and Studies Association. We are not just a region full of political turmoil. We are of great cultures, languages, and backgrounds. We do not fit one box easily.

As for my “plans,” I want to be involved in education and healthcare. I would like to become a neurosurgeon without losing my interest for changing the structure and driving forces of education in this country or my own. To pursue my interest in research, I’ll probably end up in an MD/Ph.D program (inshallah because your medical school fees are paid!).  

What is the best compliment you’ve received?

I think everyone is their own worst critic, so compliments I get are taken with a grain of salt. However, I think that my heart warms when anyone tells me that I make them comfortable. It is the best compliment anyone can give me – the fact that they can be themselves around me without fear is humbling and terrifying. In return, I am myself too.

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.