Meet Darya Bor: HCA Fashionista Giveaway Runner Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

A. Tell us about where you’re from.

I’m from Scottsdale, Arizona, by way of Belarus.

B. How does the weather at Amherst differ from back home?

One of the major culture shocks when arriving at Amherst was the presence of water — in the air, in the ground, in the vegetation. This is, naturally, a huge deal to someone who grew up with cacti.

C. Why did you choose to come to Amherst?

Amherst’s academic freedom and tight alumni network brought me here — plus the Russian House, which I have lived in for the past 3 years (and am now the RC!).

D. What are you interested in both academically and leisurely? What are you passionate about most?

I’m a Film & Media Studies major and honestly that is not just an academic interest, but also a life one. I love media and can rant about my favorites for pretty much many many many hours. On a personal note, my favorite pastime is partner social dancing. Waltz, swing, salsa — all dance is good dance.

E. Tell us the best memory of your first year.

One of my favorite memories from my first year actually has to do with me and my friend Josephine creating new step patterns in 5/4 and 7/4 time during the big snowstorm January 2015. To say the least, it is possible to create a social dance to Take Five.

G. What are your plans for the rest of your time at Amherst?

Between my thesis, job search, and classes, I’m trying to enjoy the wonders of Amherst: there is so much unexplored, in term of local areas, connections, and opportunities that have passed me by these past 3 years.

H. What is the best compliment you’ve received?

The best compliment I received: one girl in a summer arts program I attended in high school said that I have “The most fascinating face bone structure” and I have embraced that ever since (this is the sort of complement artists give to others, and boy did it make me glow with pride).

Miss Black America Massachusetts 2018; Founder/CEO of Born to Be Unique Consulting, Ordinary x Influence, and To Save a Life Nonprofit; Author of Myth of the Self Made; Crimson Education Consultant Hello! I am a social entrepreneur, speaker, author, & motivational speaker (currently open to be booked for interviews, speaking and event hosting) with a love for Yahweh (God), life, dancing, Christian Ministry, natural beauty, modest fashion, social justice, learning and education, art, service work, travel, nature, business, a good bargain or sale, and helping people to live their "best" lives by leading by example. Follow me on instagram: @rock_n_rawrrr and visit my website to learn more about me and my work at: www.ordinaryxinfluence.weebly.com