Holiday Dressing for Every Sense of Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

It’s hard to believe, but Thanksgiving and Hanukkah have both come and passed and the month of December is well underway!  The holiday season is officially upon us, and that often means getting dressed up for parties and gatherings.  Holiday dressing is all about glitter and sparkle—but all of that adornment can get a little flashy or tacky looking.  With a few styling tips and tricks, you can incorporate some Christmas or New Year’s sparkle into your wardrobe while still looking tasteful.

If you’re looking add to your holiday wardrobe and are shopping for a sequined top or dress, be sure to head to a fitting room try it on in the store first!  A lot of garments embroidered with sequins or beads can be really scratchy and itchy on your skin—not comfortable at all!  When shopping for these types of items, it’s essential to make sure it feels good on your body before you buy anything, especially because sequined clothing can be very expensive.  Look for blouses and dresses that have an inner lining, so the threads that stitch the beads or sequins onto the clothes aren’t exposed from the inside.  Nordstrom, both online and in stores, carries a wide range of embellished tops and dresses at a range of prices.  J.Crew (both the regular store and the outlet) usually has sequined clothing no matter what the season, but the selection is especially great during the holidays!

If you don’t want to go through the hassle of trying to finding clothing that’s both sequined and comfortable, consider a pair of glittery flats or heels.  Shoes like this tend to be pretty bold, so keep the rest of your outfit plain and understated.  For example, for the holiday season, Kate Spade sells embellished pumps and flats that are eye-catching but classy.  Check out the “Catcher” flats, the “Charm” sling backs, or the “Karolina” pumps,, shown below.  Besides these options, any shoes with some gems or embellishment are fun for New Year’s parties. 

If glitter isn’t really your style but you still want to wear something a little flashy, consider a top with metallic accents or some extra-sparkly jewelry.  As with the sequined garments, be sure not to go overboard with adornment—it’s all about striking a balance.  Bloomingdale’s, Forever 21, Tobi, and J.Crew all have metallic dresses, blazers, blouses, and shoes on their websites right now.  Just make sure your metals don’t clash when you’re composing your outfit!  See below for some examples of metallic holiday looks, and have a blast getting ready for Christmas and New Years events!