High-Fashion Costumes Just One Draw to Upcoming The Great Gatsby

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

After a delayed release date and with 39 years separating it from the lukewarm reception of the original film, director Baz Luhrmann’s The Great Gatsby will finally hit theaters on May 10.  At its core, F. Scott Fitzgerald’s beloved novel is a story about appearances—and costume designer Catherine Martin capitalizes on this, lifting traditional styles from the “roaring twenties” and giving them an opulent and modern twist.  In fact, much of the buzz surrounding The Great Gatsby stems from Martin’s interpretation of 1920s dress and the costumes that stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, and Tobey Maguire will wear throughout the film.

Carey Mulligan wears one of the beaded dresses featured in The Great Gatsby

Catherine Martin collaborated with fashion designer Miuccia Prada in creating clothing for Gatsby’s female characters.  Prada and Martin worked with traditional 20’s silhouettes for the film’s costumes.  In using vibrant shades of emerald, gold, and deep blue, adorning garments with crystals, fringe, and sequins, and period-appropriate hats and hair accessories, Martin gives these styles a contemporary twist that allows viewers to feel that they’ve traveled back in time, but are still connected to a distinctly modern aesthetic.  The styles “reflect a collision of…[the] Ivy League look of wealthy Long Island and…European glamour, sophistication and decadence,” the designer said.

Miuccia Prada’s sketches of costumes for the movie

The men’s costumes to be worn by DiCaprio (as Jay Gatsby) and Maguire (as Nick Carraway) and their acquaintances were designed by the traditional menswear brand, Brooks Brothers.  Costume designer Catherin Martin said that the brand was a natural choice to outfit Gatsby’s leading men, noting that Brooks Brothers is mentioned frequently in F. Scott Fitzgerald’s writings.  The collaboration, she stated, was an authentic one.  Brooks Brothers released a limited edition line of suits, shirts, and accessories inspired by Gatsby and their involvement with the upcoming film, available for purchase by the public—so the men in your life, if they so choose, can dress just like the characters they’ll watch on the big screen come May.

DiCaprio wears one of many Brooks Brothers suits in the film.

The story of The Great Gatsby alone is enough to carry a film, but the addition of Catherine Martin’s costumes should make it even more unforgettable.  With a soundtrack by Jay-Z featuring music by the xx and Lana Del Rey and an all-star cast featuring Leonardo DiCaprio, Carey Mulligan, and Tobey Maguire, The Great Gatsby isn’t a movie to miss.