Happy International Women’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Today is International Women’s Day.  Started officially by the UN in 1914, (although first celebrated on February 28th 1910 in New York), International Women’s Day is a day to celebrate the achievenments of women and advocate for gender parity.  Different countries celebrated in different ways.  According to my Chinese professor, Chinese teachers receive gift cards to get massages and facials.  In India, there was a non-stop all-female flight from New Delhi to San Francisco including 20 staff members and 250 passengers.  There are campaigns like “A Day Without Women” and other protest around the world to remind us how important women are to our system and how much inequality they still face.  On our campus, the WGC and other groups are holding events for students to appreciate themselves and the women who made a difference in their lives.

As we remember the Ida B. Wells, the Susan B. Anthonys, the the Lee Tai-youngs, and the Ada Lovelaces, let’s also remember the mothers, grandmothers, aunts, sisters, teachers, construction workers, soldiers, college staff…the other less profile women who make a difference in OUR individual lives.  I encourage you to also think about the stay-at-home moms and other non-working women who make a difference in their community by volunteering at various organizations.  It’s important to make all members of our community feel special and days like today give us a great platform to do so!

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.