A Guide To Choosing Dorms for Room Draw

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Room Draw is right around the corner.  If you are a first year or previously lived in theme housing, then you are probably wondering how this whole process even works.  For veterans of the room draw process, you are either feeling content with your place in the list or settling for pitching a tent on the quad.

Here are a few tips, based on your needs for which dorms to choose.

What you want:  Single with low position on room draw

Dorm Choices: The Hill, Val

You probably already heard negative things about the hill, but hear me out on this one.  Most of the dorms are made up of singles.  While it is far from campus, you are closer to town.  Most years, the hill is relatively quiet and if you convince your friends to pick the dorm with you, you can take up an entire floor.  Finally, Plimpton has single showers, which is a luxury in itself.

Val also gets a bad wrap , but can be great place to live if you want singles with high ceilings. You’re also super close to Val ;)

What you want: Quiet place

Dorm Choices:  Morrow, Lipton

If you are higher up on room draw, then these are dorms I would consider for a quiet space.  They are both in great locations as they are close to Val and not too far from town. However, because of their location and reputation, there are two of the dorms fastest to go.

What you want:  Living with your bestie

Dorm Choices: Lipton, Hitchcock, Morrow, Greenway

If you don’t mind having a roommate and have a pretty decent spot on Room Draw, you will have access to any of the dorms mentioned.  They tend to have very large doubles and two room doubles.  These rooms are awesome for juniors because if one person goes abroad, the other has a very large room to themself.

What you want:  To write a thesis

Dorm Choices: Cohan, King and Wieland

All three of these dorms have long tables for you to spread out your work.  They are also mostly singles if you want to have space to yourself and large windows so you can see the sunlight as you write your little heart out.

What you want:  Lively Atmosphere

Dorm Choices:  Garman, Greenway, MoPratt, The Triangle

If you like living in dorms that often have formals or parties, these are where you may want to check out. If this is not what you’re looking for, you may want to stand clear.

I hope this helps you with your decision.  May the odds be ever in your favor!

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.