Group Costume Ideas for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

With school in full swing, the leaves changing colors, and the weather cooling down, the fall season is upon us.  Before we know it, cider donuts will be at every school event, pumpkins will be spotted around campus, and Halloween will be here!  While choosing a Halloween costume can be tough, especially since it lasts for multiple nights, here are some inexpensive yet creative suggestions for you and your friends:

1. Loofahs

Made out of tulle, this easy DIY costume can be made out of a different fun, bright color for each person in your group.  Learn how to make one here.

2. Beanie Babies

Take a cute spin on your old favorite stuffed animal from childhood.  Instead of the go-to cat ears, change it up by picking something different like a duck.

3. Celebrity Through the Years 

Dressing up as the same celebrity from different moments in their life is a funny costume idea to do with your friends!  With Amanda Bynes and Miley Cyrus completely changing their images, those two would be great choices for 2013. 

4. Different Roles of Actors/Actresses

Dressing up as the same celebrity from their different movie roles is another creative costume idea to try!  It’s obviously easier to do this with an star who has been in many different films, such as Lindsay Lohan (The Parent Trap, Freaky Friday, Mean Girls, Herbie Fully Loaded, Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen).

5. Scrabble / Words with Friends Tiles

Very simple costume made of an all black outfit and then your letter! 

6. Angel & Devil

All you need for this classic duo is a white or red dress, and then a halo headband or devil horns, which they sell at most costume stores!

7. Movie Characters – Incredibles, Minions, 1920s from Great Gatsby

Many characters from movies are easy to replicate using your clothes from your closet!  For example, throw on a yellow top, jean shorts, and punch out of the lenses from some old sunglasses, and you’re basically all set to be a minion from Despicable Me.

The key to a great Halloween costume is to keep it creative, cheap, and classy!  Even though Mean Girls says that “Halloween is the one night a year a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it”, it’s best to keep it tasteful but still fun!

Nicole Yang is an Editorial Intern at Her Campus.  Before joining the team at HC, she previously was the Managing Editor of her college's weekly newspaper, The Amherst Student.  While at Amherst College, Nicole was also a tour guide and a member of the women's varsity squash team.  Her professional experience includes working as a Communications Intern for Comcast and Monster, and her work has been published by Fast Company, Fortune, and The Sports Quotient.  Follow her on Twitter.