Fun Things to do at Amherst on HALLOWEEN

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

This year Halloween has fallen on a Friday. If you listen closely, you can hear thousands of elementary to middle school students jumping for joy. It means you get to trick-or-treat all night, watch movies and sleepover at friend’s houses on the best holiday for kid ever created. However, Halloween is not something we out grow. It seems as though as we get older, our love of the dark holiday develops too.  If Trick-or-Treating isn’t your favorite Halloween activity (whether by choice or for being called too old by the candy givers), Amherst has many activities for you to take part in.

Hampshire Halloween

Hampshire Halloween has to be the biggest Halloween event in Amherst.  It is a line-up of artists from the Amherst area, most from Hampshire College, who will give the audience a great array of music that will make you want to dance the night away.  For Five College students, the ticket costs $25. These sell out quickly so if you haven’t bought your ticket, you should do so as soon as possible.  For Amherst students, you can purchases them in Keefe Campus Center at the CCM booth/window.

GlobeMed Halloween

If you would like to make a difference this Halloween, check out GlobeMed’s Halloween Bash in Lipton on Friday from 8pm to midnight.  All donations go to Pastoral de la Salud, the GlobeMed partner in El Salvador. You can expect great music, Antonio’s, Sugar Jones and, of course, a fun time with your fellow Amherst students.

Mad Hatter Halloween Tea Party

Do you have plans for Friday? Or maybe you’re afraid of getting a hoax casted upon you? If Thursday works better in your schedule for whatever reason, then the Mad Hatter Halloween Tea Party by the QRC and Pride may be the right place for you!  Once again, costumes are optional and you can expect refreshments. With the event running from 8pm to 10pm, you may want to just pop in for some socializing and enjoying good vibes for an early start to the weekend.

Valley Ghost Tours

If you want to take a trip to Northhampton, then you should definitely visit the Valley Ghost Tours.  They tell spooky stories on this outdoor tour where you visit each spot highlighted in the tales.  Tickets for students with ID is only $10 and they do request that you book them in advance. For more details, you should check out their website.

Around Campus

If you don’t want to go too far or dress up too much, Amherst usually tries to put on different events for us to enjoy. Last year, there were treats in Keefe, including a Strawberry Fountain for added gory effect as we dipped our crackers and marshmallows into the concoction. Many  professors who live close to campus leave their lights on for trick-or-treaters and won’t push away any Lady or Lord Jeffs on their doorstep.  Freshman RCs will usually have candy for trick-or-treaters as well.  Lastly, the best part of staying on campus is seeing everyone’s costumes and finding the best one.  As we all know, Amherst students can be quite creative and you don’t want to be left out of thee loop!

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.