Flashback Friday: Young Adult Books We All Loved

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

When I went home over break, I started to go through my old book collection from middle school to high school.

I remember the days I used to write notes to my friends in the back of books as we bonded over our favorite characters and the most jaw-dropping scenes.  It was fun going down memory lane so I decided to invite you all to do the same.  While I didn’t read all of these books, here are a few novels my friends and I enjoyed growing up.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

Classic, right?  I don’t know if they still ask this question during First-Year Orientation, but the Class of 2017 was asked to stand up if you read the Harry Potter series.  I would say over 90% of the room stood up.  If that isn’t a magical way to make new friends, I don’t know what is.

The Uglies series

This could have just been me, but I loved the Uglies series.  For those of you who haven’t heard of it, it follows a teenager who lives a world where they get an operation to become pretty on their 16th birthday. It turns out your face isn’t the only thing it operates on.  The story is filled with action, romance and questions what it truly means to be “pretty.”

Pretty Little Liars

Another series that doesn’t need an introduction.  Thanks to the television series and great fashion trends, everyone in high school was wondering:  “Who was A?”

The Babysitters’ Club

The Babysitters’ Club was a bit before our generation but its story was timeless.  The girls juggled responsibilities of managing a business, keeping friends and the other trials and tribulations of growing up.

Goosebumps/Fear Street

This is another series where the books started before our time, but could give chills to anyone of all ages.  R.L. Stine had a way of making the story gripping enough I didn’t want to put the book down but creepy enough I couldn’t sleep when I did.

Speak

Speak was an eye-opening book for me.  If you haven’t heard of it, the story follows a high school student who doesn’t speak after a traumatic event.  The book tells her story from the present with a few clues on the key moment that led up to her silence.  The book was very well-written and taught me that you everyone sees a situation from a different angle.

The Fault In Our Stars

While this wasn’t my favorite John Green book (Paper Towns FTW), this was most people’s gateway into his writing.  The YouTuber knew how to create young adult characters that fit today’s youth.  The Fault In Our Stars told a bittersweet love story that showed us how important it is to enjoy life.

The Hunger Games

Another book series that doesn’t need much of an introduction.  I read the series my sophomore or junior year of high school and I recall putting the book down after many of the character deaths. It truly sent you on a rollercoaster of emotions and I don’t think anyone was completely satisfied with the ending.

The Lightning Thief

For all my mythology buffs, this was the moment we all thrived.  Percy Jackson, the demi-god and child of Poseidon, was a character we watched mature throughout the series.  It was like having someone grow-up along side us.

Twilight

If you’re like me, you may want to forget your obsession with this book series, but it happened, own up to it.  As someone who has read almost every YA vampire book series, Twilight was not the greatest, but it was one of the books that my friend group bonded over and that was fun in itself.

I hope you enjoyed memory lane. Maybe over Spring Break, you can dust off some of your favorite novels and re-read them for a little nostalgia and relaxation. 

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.