Did You Know? June Ambrose Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Welcome to the Did You Know blog! This is the June Ambrose edition!

June Ambrose, a well-known celebrity fashion stylist, costume designer, and creative director is as much a staple on the red carpet as she is on social media. From her glittering, often humorous Instagram feed to her “June by June” collection on HSN, Ms. Ambrose brings a level of realness to fashion that’s the hottest accessory around. 

Remember Mariah Carey’s “It’s Like That”?  That was Ambrose. And Missy Elliott’s “The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)” which was also nominated for Best Rap Video at the ’97 VMA’s? Also Ambrose. 

Looking for a way to spot an Ambrose original? Keep your eye out for the confident styling with bold colors that are as much a part of Ambrose’s technique as they are her personality. Unapologetically herself, Ambrose brings a level of sincerity that’s as eye-catching as Mariah Carey’s translucent, shimmering nude gown.

And for me, being at Amherst and being creatively inclined can be a challenge – the academic pressure can make it hard to find the confidence to pursue a career, let alone a passion, outside of well-worn paths. And given the scarcity of black women in the fashion industry, Ambrose’s personal accomplishments are just as inspiring as

As an aspiring stylist, seeing Ms. Ambrose gives me a way to envision my own successes after Amherst, and like her post today says, “It’s not about perfect. It’s about effort”. So, here’s to you, Ms. Ambrose, and thank you for inspiring me to shine with my own #BlackGirlMagic. 

Amherst College Senior, Amherst, MA. Member of Amherst Women's Varsity ice hockey team. Hometown is Washington, D.C