Date-Night Change-Up!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

The best date I’ve ever been on happened at Amherst, and all it required was a two-minute walk from my dorm room. My date reserved a lecture hall with a projector and rented Midnight in Paris for a private movie screening for two.  It was simple, thoughtful, and caught me totally off guard because it was a creative take on of the oh-so-popular “dorm room and Netflix” dates. 

Don’t get me wrong, cuddling up with a movie on a 13” computer screen is pretty much ideal for a night in, but it’s important to break the routine sometimes.  A little bit of effort and a change in scenery goes a long way, so it got me thinking: what are some fun date ideas for an Amherst student that don’t require a whole lot of travel and won’t hurt your college budget?

1.     Public skate: The ORR Rink has hours during which it is open for Amherst College students to skate. So take a short walk to the rink, lace up some skates, and glide a baby deer learning how to walk for the first time.

2.     Hike the notch: When the weather gets a little warmer and you’re feeling outdoorsy, climb the notch at Mount Holyoke Range State Park.  I promise, it’s an easy hike, and it only takes thirty minutes to get to the most beautiful view.  If you’re feeling ambitious, plan a really early hike so that, once you’re at the top, the sunrise peeks out over the range.  As tired as you may feel, it’s a worthwhile experience for sure.

3.     Rock Climb: Central Rock Gym on route 9 has a lot of potential as a date spot.  What better way to build a trusting relationship than by being tethered from a rope that your date is holding on the ground below you?! Plus, they give a student discount (a day pass is $12).

4.     Laser Tag:  I didn’t know that this existed until a few weeks ago, but the Hampshire Mall has laser tag! College students love to complain about growing up and facing adult responsibilities, so throw it back to your childhood and unleash your competitive side with a friendly game of one-on-one laser tag. (Rates vary from a single game for $5 to 3 hours of multiple games for $12)

5.     Explore Northampton: Northampton is a short trip away and the perfect opportunity to get out of the Amherst bubble with out REALLY going anywhere.  The town holds a huge variety of restaurants and shops (including the hilariously entertaining Faces, of course).  Thornes marketplace is perfect for window shopping and grabbing small treats from the bakery as you walk around.   

6.     See a show: Amherst College has six a cappella groups, and very active Theatre/Dance and Music departments, so there’s almost always something exciting happening.  That e-digest that gets emailed to us weekly? Look at it! Buckley Recital Hall and Kirby Theatre are constantly hosting performances, and on the off-chance that there’s nothing on campus that interests you or your date, the four other colleges nearby will give you even more options. 

It’s important to remember that these don’t have to be dates of the romantic variety.   Remember, having fun is about who you are with, not always what you are doing. Grab your significant other, or your roommate, or a group of friends, or someone new, and check these off your list! 

Amherst College English Major Class of 2016
Amherst College Senior, Amherst, MA. Member of Amherst Women's Varsity ice hockey team. Hometown is Washington, D.C