Campus Profile Lilly Mommens ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Meet Lilly Mommens ’18, a former Willistonian with a great list of interests!

Tell me about where are you from:

The important thing is that I’m from Wisconsin. Anyone who knows me knows that. I grew up in a place where the sign when you get into town says that it’s ‘Where the North begins.’ This summer, I moved 3 hours north of that, into a place literally called The Northwoods. So yah! I’m from way up in de nort’, doncha know, eh?

How does the weather at Amherst compare to the weather back home?:

Amherst is basically a more tame version of home. Our hots are hotter and our colds are much colder, and of course we get more snow (and more rain lol). Other than that, they’re actually pretty similar. The winters here are so beautiful, and unlike back home, most of the time it’s actually warm enough that I can go outside to enjoy them!

Why did you choose to attend Amherst?:

When I visited the campus, I just had this feeling. I can’t really explain it. It just felt right, like I’m just supposed to be here.

What are you interested in both academically and leisurely?:

In no particular order: Art. Computers. Fencing. Jesus. Hats. Anime. Mustaches. Elephants. Snow. Food.

What are you passionate about the most?:

I’m most passionate about my faith. I am a Christian, and I try very hard to live my life grounded firmly in my beliefs. I’m passionate about loving people radically and unconditionally, no matter who they are or where they are from or what they believe in, just like God does. I’m not a theological expert or anything, but one of my fave quotes describes pretty well what I try to do: “God isn’t looking for spiritual giants, but for people who carry spiritual lamps burning bright for Him.” -Patrick Fung

Tell me the best memory of your first year:

Cramming 20+ people in the Williston common room during orientation for the sole purpose of watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail. The whole situation was just absurd and wonderful.

What are your plans for the rest of your time at Amherst and beyond?:

Good question! No idea, tbh. I’m excited to figure it out!

What is the best compliment you’ve received?:

“You are important.”

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.