Campus Cutie Araceli Aponte ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Name: Araceli Aponte

Hometown: Chicago <3

Year: 3000 jk 2017Dorm: I live in La Casa. We are the Latinx Culture theme house on campus and are located in the third floor of Moore. Come visit me!

Majors: rocks rocks rocks / I’m also trying to get a Five College Certificate in Latin American, Caribbean, and Latino Studies. Amherst College is the only school in the five college consortium that does not offer any sort of program or major in Latin America, Caribbean or Latino Studies. We are also the only school in NESCAC that doesn’t have any sort of program, major, or minor in Latin American or Latino studies, get it together Amherst. This has been a long time coming, literally alumni from 40 years ago were fighting for a Latinx Studies program and it’s ridiculous that we are still fighting that fight today.

Relationship Status: irrelevant, haha

Ideal Date: camping,  hiking, films in the forest, cute outdoor things

What Super Power Would You Want: The ability to move freely and comfortably in any medium without the need to stop (aka swim at depth without ever needing to come up for air but also being able to fly and move through objects).

Ideal Job: A structural geologist doing research at a museum, or a geology professor at a school like Amherst (representation matters). Look here is a cool pic of Sahana, John & I in Montana where we did field work this summer! Geology rocks.

Most Played Song on Your iPod: Currently? Say My Name by Destiny’s Child. Last week it was Y Yo Sigo Aqui by Paulina Rubio jaja

Fave TV show: Master Chef! I aspire to be one of the people they serve during a team challenge ha.. The food always looks so good!!

Country you want to visit: Peru/Ecuador: The Andes are gorgeous and geologically amazing! Also I’m taking Quechua at UMass this semester so it would be pretty cool to go to Peru from a linguistic perspective.

Craziest Thing You’ve Ever Done: Cut all my hair off last spring in a time of crisis, although I would describe it more as bold and necessary, than “crazy.” My hair has changed a lot along with me these last couple of years and I’m thankful for that.

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.