Campus Celebrity Michael Harmon ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Meet Michael Harmon ’16 in this exclusive Her Campus Amherst interview where he talks about his life in Jersey and what he really thinks of Val’s need set up.

Tell me about where are you from:

• Short Hills, NJ, where the hills are short. In all seriousness, New Jersey is the greatest state in the union. Have you heard “Born to Run”?

How does the weather at Amherst compare to the weather back home?:

• I saw some clouds yesterday that looked familiar. I think I saw them last weekend back in NJ.

Why did you choose to attend Amherst?:

• My uncle, an Amherst alum, once said, “You can live in a city for the rest of your life, but you only have four years to study in a bucolic setting at a liberal arts college.” As I write this from my room in Stearns, looking out on the freshman quad, I’m so glad I took his advice and followed in his footsteps. There’s no place I’d rather be.

What are you interested in both academically and leisurely?:

• Travel, whenever possible. I’m writing a thesis next year on the Cape-to-Cairo railway after traveling along part of it this summer. I’ve also loved NASA for as long as I can remember, and I decided at some point last semester that I want to go to Mars. I’d settle for the moon, though.

What’s are you passionate about the most?:

• Making music that makes people dance, and making jokes that make them laugh. Or cringe. Nothing like a cheesy pun.

What are your plans for the rest of your time at Amherst and beyond:

• Medical school, eventually. Maybe a writing job at SNL, or a degree in organic chemistry. I’ve always wanted to be a Blue Man, too. For now, I’m excited to figure this all out while enjoying another year at this magical place and continuing my gradual transition into a hybrid of Anthony Bourdain and Phil Dunphy.

If you could make one change to the world, playful or serious, what would it be?:

• Bring back the old front room in Val. This is the wrong furniture. What happened, Pete?

What’s something you’ve always wanted to say but never got the chance to say it?:

• “And on your right, you’ll see our new science center…”

But I’m not bitter. Just like orgo, Merrill builds character. Not Val’s new front room, though. That needs to go.

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.