Campus Celeb Best Halloween Costume 2015: Jeremy Paula ’17 as Posh Spice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

This week, we asked Her Campus readers and contributors to nominate students for best costume.  Jeremy Paula ’17 got the most votes for the costume of Posh Spice where he collaborated with a few friends. Check out this interview to get the behind the scenes details of the making of the costume and the Jeremy behind the Victoria.

What was the process of getting your costume ready?

The process didn’t take that long to put together but what took longer was finding all of my items. I needed a dress and heels for the night so I made sure to go around asking in advance for these items because I didn’t own any! The other lengther process was putting on the makeup but I had the help of friends to do it!

How would you say your costume reflects on your personality?

Dressing up as Posh Spice or Victoria Beckham I felt this aura of sophistication and stylishness. I felt very much like the it girl that night. I would say I’m not like this at all! But I would say I normally try to be as classy as Posh.  

If you were trying to make a statement, do you think it came across?

The statement I was trying to make Halloween was a screw it! We live in a world that loves to box us in especially when it comes to things like gender. Men wear this, women wear that. I actually enjoyed screwing with gender and wearing things that I would say are normally taboo for men. I think it definitely came across that night! 

Posh Spice and the rest of the lovely ladies of the Spice Girls.  Can you figure out who’s who? 

Do you think your costume was very reflective of Amherst?

I think it was very reflective! I was actually a bit hestiant about wearing a dress and heels and prentending to not be myself. However, everyone at Amherst was very supportive! So many people were quite impressed and you don’t know how many shouts of approval I received. I think it definitely reflects how forward thinking we can be Amherst. 

If you could make one change to the world, playful or serious, what would it be?

It would be to make this world more playful! I think a lot of people think too seriously about their lives with these grand ideas about what they’re suppose to be doing but I think we should just take time to enjoy everything. I wish we could also help to spread that playfulness to others too.  

In character with your costume:  What’s something you’ve always wanted to say but never got the chance to say it?

F*ck it darling be who you wanna be ~poshy British accent~

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.