Antonis Samaras ’74

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

Antonis Samaras ’74 has been the Prime Minister of Greece since 20 June 2012.  He was born in Athens in 1951, and lived a sweet life amongst the Greek elite, playing tennis and going to nice parties.  He won the Greek Teen Tennis Championship at age 17. He attended Athens College, and then went on to major in economics at Amherst.  At Amherst he was roommates with former Prime Minister George Papandreou, although the two later became bitter political rivals.  After Amherst, Samaras went to Harvard and received his MBA in 1976.

In 1977, Samaras was elected a member of the parliament.  In 1989 he became the Greek Finance Minister, and later the Minister of Foreign Affairs in the New Democracy Government.  The New Democracy is Samaras’s party, Greece’s major conservative party.  Samaras was frustrated with the way in which the government compromised over the Macedonian Question on what the newly independent Republic of Macedonia should call itself given the fact that many Greeks identify as Macedonians.  Samaras and other hard-core nationalists did not want the word Macedonia in the name of the new country.  Samaras broke away from the New Democracy government and founded his own party, Political Spring, even further to the right than New Democracy.  The defection of one of the Members of Parliament from New Democracy caused the party to fall from power in 1993.  Political Spring never really caught on, and Samaras re-joined New Democracy in 2000.

In 2009, Samaras was elected leader of New Democracy.  He is now continuing to serve as Prime Minister of Greece.    

Evelyn is the Editor-in-Chief of the Amherst branch of Her Campus. She was a features intern at Seventeen Magazine during the summer of 2011 and a features intern at Glamour Magazine during the summer of 2013. She is a French and English major in the class of 2014 at Amherst College. She is also on Amherst's varsity squash team. She is an aspiring travel writer/novelist, and loves running, ice cream, and Jane Austen.