neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

4 Beauty Tips For Black Girl Magic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Amherst chapter.

When we were giving away the Spring Break Survival Kits two weeks ago, two students asked me if the dry shampoo samples  could work for black hair.  I remember having the same apprehension when I first used dry shampoo and was happy to share my experiences with them.  It reminded me that many beauty trends and tips don’t often accommodate everyone.  I hope that my tips will be helpful, not just for black women, but for all people who are trying to find a way to follow trends or love the skin they are in.

Yes, we can use dry shampoo.

I use dry shampoo when I have braids because we can’t wash them every day (or even every week!).   I prefer a scented dry shampoo because it refreshes and smells nice.  Instead of combing it through like the instructions suggest, massage it into your scalp and then apply more product to her hands to run your fingers down your braids/locs/hair strands.  

Contouring

Contouring always boggled my mind.  I would see beauty gurus with pale skin using a foundation of my skin tone to contour.  Seeing this I wondered, what color was I supposed to use?  Especially with the limited number of shades, it’s difficult for everyone to get a dramatic effect.  

I find that I focus on highlighting my natural glow.  Sometimes, actually using a highlighter. (I like NYX’s liquid highlighter) or a bronzer (the one from the holiday Survival Kit from Rimmel London).  It makes me feel like some kind of golden goddess and allows me to partake in the trend in my own way.

Ingrown Hair Prevention

Most people get razor bumps or ingrown hairs, but the curlier the hair, the more likely the problem.  Here are three things that worked for me:

1. Using a hair removal cream. – It last longer, makes my skin feel softer and causes less bumps for me

2. Exfoliating – Using a shower puff during bath time can keep the hairs from curling in

3. Tendskin – This is a product that is supposed to help with razor bumps.  I love it! In order to save money, I also make my own version of it consisting of  3 parts rubbing alcohol and 1 part witch hazel.

Coconut Oil is life

I can’t stop using this stuff.  At first, I just used it on my hair like I did as a kid.  But now I use it as a primer and make-up remover. . As a primer, it adds an extra glow under my foundation.  As a makeup remover, it removes my makeup but leaves my skin soft.  I usually wash my face after using it and my skin is less dry at night because of it.

These tips are simple enough to include in your usual routine, but can still give you great results.  Do you have a few tips you would like to share with the community?  Send Carina or Bonnie an email because we would love to hear them!

Carina Corbin graduated from Amherst College in 2017 and started writing for Her Campus during her first year. She was a Computer Science and Asian Languages & Civilizations double major that still loves to learn languages, write short stories, eat great food and travel. She wrote for Her Campus Amherst for four years and was Campus Correspondent for 3.5 years. She enjoyed interviewing Campus Profiles and writing content that connected with the Amherst community.