This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

With the middle of November officially upon us, everyone is getting anxious for Thanksgiving, finals, course registration, and winter break. For many of us, this is a time of both stress from finals, and excitement to get home and see family and friends we may not have seen in a while. It is also a time to do many of the things we love, such as shopping, catching up on sleep, binge-watching Netflix, eating your favorite foods, and letting stress melt away!

Another fun thing many people love doing over long holiday breaks is reading a good book – especially on a cold, snowy day. As an Elementary Education major with a Literature concentration, I personally love the idea of laying on the couch or in bed, with Starbucks chai and a good book. But what if you don’t know what type of book you want to read over break? Well have no fear, the AU Literature department is here to help you! As professors in Literature, they know what types of books students will love to read over the long Thanksgiving and winter breaks. Here are some of their ideas:

Professor Cindy Bair Van Dam recommends: Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessi 

Professor Lindsey Green-Simms recommends: Americanah by Chimanada Adichie  

Professor Keith Leonard recommends: Drinking Coffee Elsewhere by Z.Z. Packer, Lost in the City by Edward P. Jones, and Thomas and Beluah by Rita Dove 

Professor Marianne Noble recommends: The Orphan Master’s Son by Adam Johnson, The Hours by Michael Cunningham, Mama Day by Gloria Naylor, and Jane Ere by Charlotte Bronte

Professor Linda Voris recommends: Citizen by Claudia Rankine

Professor Melissa Scholes Young recommends: My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem, Citizen by Claudia Rankine, Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng, and Make Your Home Among Strangers by Jennine Capo Crucet  

Do these suggestions give you some ideas of what to read over break? We hope so! Happy reading! 

Photo Credit: 1