Why You Should Use LinkedIn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Before arriving at college, I knew virtually nothing about online resumes. I assumed that everyone was still relying on the typical paper format when it came job searching. These thoughts quickly evaporated during the my first few classes of Understanding Media last semester, when I learned from my professor how LinkedIn has become an instrumental component in today’s professional world. To put it simply, if you don’t have a LinkedIn—you should create one immediately. Here are some reasons why.

1. LinkedIn can act as an extension to your hard copy resume. 

While paper resumes are typically kept at one page, LinkedIn provides users with the ability to post as much or little as they want. With the “Professional Portfolio” option, you can upload actual examples of your work that can’t be highlighted in print form (photos, videos, links, recommendations, etc). With employers looking up applicants online now more than ever, having a LinkedIn profile can help them have a better idea of who you are.

2. Network with professionals and peers. 

Connections are everything—in the professional world, who you know in certain situations can be as important as what you know. LinkedIn acts a great resource when it comes to facilitating interactions; rather than “friending” people (like on Facebook) you can effectively “connect” with professionals in your field of interest. If you meet someone at an event or get the chance to pitch an elevator speech, you can use LinkedIn as a way to further interaction. Networking with alumni and peers can also lead to future opportunities. 

3. Find jobs and inspiration. 

Under the “Jobs” section on the site, you can find numerous job and internship listings and filter searches by company name, location, experience level, etc. You can save certain listings to compare them later with other listings in similar positions. You can also follow companies, join groups, and look at other people’s LinkedIn pages to become better familiar with what a potential career could entail.

Keep in mind that one-day, paper resumes may become obsolete. Get ahead of the game and start using LinkedIn! Check out this great article for beginners. 

Photo Credits:

Allie Erenbaum

Public Relations major with minors in Marketing and International Relations. Studying in our lovely Nation's Capital.