Why You Should be Excited About SOC Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Every spring semester, the SOC community comes together to celebrate everything communications-related through a week of exciting events and activities, sponsored by members and organizations of the American University community. SOC week, organized by the SOC Ambassador team, is open for all to participate. This year, students can look forward to the largest SOC Week in history with over 25 events planned for the week of February 23-27. Events will cover all angles of communication from journalism to applying to graduate school to personal branding and more. These events offer skills, advice and networking opportunities that are beneficial to all students at American University. If that isn’t enough to convince you to attend these events, here is a list of reasons why you should be excited about SOC week this year.

1. Free food!

There are plenty of opportunities for free food and fun throughout the week including free breakfast and coffee at the SOC Week Kickoff Breakfast with Dean Rutenbeck on Monday, February 23 from 8:30-10:30am in McKinley 101, the popular Bagels and Branding event with Professor Scott Talan as well as the AU PRSSA event on Tuesday, February 24 from 8:30-10:00am in McKinley 101. There will also be plenty of opportunities for free pizza throughout the week at events like Pizza and a Professor and Happy Hour Pizza with Communication Studies Faculty. The SOC Ambassadors will also be giving out free coffee in the morning in McKinley while tabling from 9:30-5 throughout the week to keep you updated on all the events.

2. Win some free stuff!

If you look at the event schedule online, you’ll find that some events have a * next to them. At those events, if you are one of the first to arrive at the event you could score a free SOC Week coffee mug! There will also be tabling events with free swag throughout the week in McKinley, courtesy of SOC Ambassadors.

3. There is something for everyone during SOC Week!

There is a whole range of events planned for SOC Week this year. Here are some of the topics covered this year:

·      Why journalists have more fun

·      Film trivia

·      Advertising

·      Personal branding

·      Mingling with professors in Public Communication, Communication Studies and the Film and Media Arts divisions

·      Smart phone filmmaking

·      Applying to graduate school

·      Study abroad information session

·      Networking reception with Kogod faculty

·      Investigative workshop

·      Wildlife films

·      Pitching web content

·      Kogod Marketing and Communication Day

·      DC Bloggers Panel (sponsored by Her Campus!)

·      Exploring Kogod minors

·      Anchoring a TV newscast

·      How to have a second major/minor in CAS

·      Digital advocacy

·      Freelancing

·      Photography

·      International film series

4. Your friends have been working hard to make this week happen!

The SOC Ambassadors are so thankful to have had so many wonderful organizations working hard to make their event happen this year. Chances are you have friends in these organizations and you should be supporting them! Here is a list of all the organizations sponsoring SOC Week 2015 events:

·      AU Abroad

·      AU Career Center

·      Center for Environmental Filmmaking

·      SOC Dean’s Office

·      SOC Office of Graduate Services

·      SOC Office of Student & Academic Affairs

·      SOC Undergraduate Academic Advising Team

·      SOC Communication Studies Division

·      SOC Film & Media Arts Division

·      SOC Journalism Division

·      SOC Public Communication Division

·      SOC Media and Technology Services

·      Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA)

·      Her Campus

·      AU Office of Development and Alumni Relations

·      Kogod School of Business

·      College of Arts and Sciences

·      AU Association of Black Journalists

·      Delta Kappa Alpha

·      Alpha Kappa Psi

·      Kogod Career Management Center

·      AU Social Media Club

·      SOC Office of Online Programs

·      AU Photo Collective

What more reasons do you need to attend the events of the best week of spring semester?? Check out the website and start planning what events you are going to. Also follow @SOC_Ambassadors for more information and updates!

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3

My name is Meg and I am a PR, marketing and psychology senior at American University. I am an environmentalist, feminist, gym junkie and happiness pursuer and am passionate about community service, social media and coffee.