Why We’re Obsessed with Malala Yousafzai

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

The brave, amazing and intelligent Malala Yousafzai has become the lead spokeswoman for girls all over the world to receive an education. At just 17 –practically a child herself—she’s become a powerful and passionate advocate for girls education. Years ago while advocating for girls education she received death threats from the Taliban and was later shot in the head.  She is surviving. And, she’s truly an inspiration to all women and children. 

Today, October 10th, we can all stand up and applaud as Malala became the youngest recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize. She won the prize “for their struggle against the suppression of children and young people and for the right of all children to education.”

Her Story:

Malala was born in Mingora, Pakistan. She began her education at a school that her father founded. Malala started her activism for education in 2009 when she began writing an anonymous blog for the BBC. In the blog, she told stories of the Taliban and how it affected her schooling. The blog gave Malala an outlet to share her views and express her concerns about education for girls. During this time, the Taliban was overthrowing townships and enforcing strict laws prohibiting television, music and limiting women’s education. 

As Malala’s activism grew, she gained international attention. She later took part in a New York Times documentary and was revealed as the author of her BBC blog. Malala also received Pakistan’s first National Youth Peace Prize and was nominated by Archbishop Desmond Tutu for the International Children’s Peace Prize. However, as she gained more attraction, the Taliban began to threaten Malala and her father. In 2012, the Taliban met and agreed to kill her. 

On October 9th, 2012 a gunman entered Malala’s school and shot her in the head. After surgery and recovering, Malala was able to deliver an inspirational speech to the United Nations in 2013 where she announced the Malala Fund “to help empower young women around the world.”

Now, Malala is still fearless (maybe more than ever) and is an internationally known advocate for millions of girls that have been denied a formal education. She continues her education in England and continues to campaign for girl’s education worldwide. Malala was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2013.  As of today, she is the youngest recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize. Malala encourages all of us to stand up for what we believe in and refuse to be silenced any longer. We will forever continue to look forward to what she will do next, she gives us tremedous hope for our generation.

Image credit: 1, 2