This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Pop culture is often seen as low-brow. It is the soft news. A guilty pleasure instead of a hobby. As Philip Ellis puts it, pop culture is regarded as “junk food” — a frivolous, trivial sector of media. 

It makes sense that pop culture will sometimes take a back seat to hard news due the urgency of political, economic and social facts, especially with the current state of our government, environment and health. There are pressing issues that deserve attention. However, these issues are not strictly topics of hard news. To dismiss pop culture as insignificant is to ignore how it responds and interacts with said issues. Facets of pop culture — celebrities, social media, television, fashion, etc. — may have the reputation of being shallow, but it is important to see how they reflect, impact and change society.

Pop culture is lived culture. It is the application of and response to the facts. Pop culture and politics often intersect as entertainment holds up a mirror to what is happening in the world around us. Some of the most widely viewed and longest running American programs are responding to current issues, from Greys Anatomy depicting the impact of COVID-19 on healthcare workers to Law and Order: SVU responding to the Black Lives Matter movement. Reality shows like Ru Paul’s Drag Race and Netflix’s Queer Eye heighten LGBTQ+ visibility and representation, critically acclaimed shows like BoJack Horseman and Normal People discuss mental health, and children’s programming like Seasame Street and Steven Universe cover topics like ableism and body positivity.

Celebrities are increasingly using their platforms to speak up on social issues. Many have supported Black Lives Matter, spoken out against Trump and worked as social activists. Even fashion is in the sociopolitical discourse, from brands pledging to emphasize sustainability to a red baseball cap taking on a new meaning with the rise of MAGA. These players within pop culture have the influence to shape how people view certain topics, and they bring politics into the daily conversation for those who would normally be detached. 

Couple watching Netflix
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels
Much of pop culture in recent years has broadened its reach and influence with the rapid expansion of the Internet. Social media has become an organization tool for protests, a way to spread information and awareness to larger audiences, and a place to share personal stories. The original video of George Floyd’s murder was posted on Facebook, a testament to what an impact a personal story shared online can have.

Just this past month social media has helped people suffering from the storms in Texas, raised awareness around anti-Asian racism, and uplifted Black voices and businesses for Black History Month. As Isabel Vega and Richard Miller explain, “Studying pop culture reveals the underlying assumptions and power structures, as well as the philosophical and moral constructs of the society, that produces those cultural products.” So, as important as it is to focus on the facts and “real news,” to disregard pop culture is to disregard the humanity and reality behind them. 

phone screen with social media apps
Photo by Tracy Le Blanc from Pexels
Even how we view pop culture reflects a major issue in society: the double standard between femininity and masculinity. Pop culture that is labeled soft and frivolous, an indulgence and not legitimate entertainment, is often that which is aimed at women and gay men. Pop music, reality television, and celebrity culture are considered more low-brow than other realms of pop culture like sports and film.

As Philip Ellis points out, “a football fan might have the same encyclopedic knowledge and fervent love of their team as a Mariah Carey stan, but one of these people is more likely to be taken seriously when they talk about their passion at the office.” His article also used the example of the Beatles, who garnered more respect when their audience came to include men instead of just fangirling young women. Ellis includes a quote by Jaya Saxena that seems to encompass how society judges pop culture: “When men enjoy something, they elevate it. But when women enjoy something, they ruin it.”

I am constantly told by my male friends and family members about how stupid or silly my obsession with reality television shows is — the same friends and family members who will cry over their team losing and could talk for hours about players. There seems to be a double standard.

Packed soccer stadium celebrating
Photo by Piero Huerto Gago from Unsplash
There’s this idea that pop culture is not worthy of being studied or taken seriously because it is just a revolving door of fads, always being replaced by the next big thing. But to look at trends and use pop culture as an artifact of history can have an impact long after it is “out of style.” Pop culture reflects the true feelings about the news at the time — news which can often be depersonalized. And with the introduction of the Internet to the pop culture conversation, hard news stories are sometimes pulled from social media.

As Alexandre O. Philippe perfectly sums up in his Tedx Talk, “Pop culture is a universal language… it is part of our fabric as human beings.” So, by dismissing pop culture and it’s discourse, many are rejecting the real issues in society that it is trying to reflect.

Isa Iiams

American '24

Isa (she/her) is in her senior year at American University as an International Relations major with a concentration in Justice, Ethics, and Human Rights. She studied abroad at the London School of Economics and has worked in education, advocacy, and research. Through her writing, she hopes to combine her interest in pop culture with her passions for social justice and politics.