jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why “The Bold Type” Should be your Next Watch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

To some extent we would all agree that the “somehow bold, funny, and yet slightly messed-up badass new-girl in town” stereotype is just slightly overused. But at the same time, all of us secretly imagine ourselves as this girl and live vicariously through her televised adventures–which is why The Bold Type should be on the top of your next watch list.The Bold Type is about not just one, but three incredible, ambitious young millennial women in New York. Their names are Kat, Jane, and Sutton: three strong, female, iconic best friends who meet while working as assistants at Scarlett magazine, which is modeled off of Cosmo. In fact, the former editor-in-chief of Cosmo, Joanna Coles, is an executive producer for the series.

The show starts off by establishing the girls’ positions at Scarlett, with Kat (Aisha Dee) saying she is Scarlett’s social media director after being an assistant for only two years, Jane (Katie Stevens) finally being promoted to a staff writer after four years, and Sutton ( Meghann Fahy) unfortunately still sticking it out in the assistant trenches under the frightening but powerful editor Lauren Park. 

The three protagonists are navigating the rocky roads of their own separate lives, but what makes the show so great is that they do it together, conquering the impossible one badass move at a time. Though they might be at different places in life, they are inseparable and have made Scarlett their second home, with the comforting knowledge that if one of them messes up, there will be an emergency meeting in the fashion closet–which is, for the record, the coolest hangout spot of all time–to set the world on the right path again.  

The friendship between the three women is exemplary of the empowering, loving and supportive relationship that we all need in our lives, and the show makes it clear from the very start that it is about women and their stories. The differences of the protagonists only make them better suited to each other and broaden the perspective of the viewers, reminding women to constantly lift each other up, not  put others down. In fact, a really interesting new aspect that the show uses is omitting the concept of a villain. This is not to say that there are no problems or conflict–on the contrary, there are problems in abundance. But for the most part, they are real problems, which is what makes the show something you want to keep watching. Kat, Jane and Sutton are faced with issues that all of us can relate to–whether it’s struggling to rise up in the ranks at Scarlett, struggling with an article that hits too close to home or trying to figure out if you’re actually a lesbian, the girls stick together and deal with things together as they come their way. 

On a more romantic note, another breathe of fresh air comes from the relationships in the show. Don’t get me wrong, there are tons of cheesy moments; but neither the show nor it’s characters revolve around their relationships. Often, in several episodes, you’ll find that the relationship is not the central issue but rather an accompaniment to the storyline. It enforces the fact that these women are multi-dimensional and have more than just love on the brain–they’re also driven, passionate, complicated, and incredibly human

Above all else, The Bold Type is about women who support women and are there for each other no matter what–through the good, the bad and the weird.

Image source: 1 

Riddhi Setty

American '22

President of Her Campus American. Undergraduate student at American University studying Journalism and Business and Entertainment. Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers.