When Celebrities Take the Broadway Stage

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Personally, I love observing all of the latest trends in Hollywood. Whether it be fashion trends, publicity trends, or movie trends, I love keeping up with the latest fads. Recently, I’ve noticed that several different Hollywood stars and celebrities are taking the Broadway stage in runs of various plays and musicals.

These celebrities include big time movie actors, former Disney stars, and now even reality stars. It’s interesting to see what stars pick up which characters, and then analyzing whether or not that was a beneficial decision for the play or musical, and also for the celebrity.

From paying close attention to this trend, I have noticed that theres typically two approaches (or reasons) why celebrities take on Broadway roles in the midst of their own careers. First, a celebrity or Hollywood star can choose to appear on Broadway for a limited time, meaning that they only appear in a set play or musical for a fixed period of time (usually around 3 months) to take a break from their typical gigs. By coming to the theatre, these various types of stars have a chance to redevelop their raw acting abilities.

The second reason usually revolves around a celebrity in the midst of a booming career. They tend to join a popular play or musical’s cast as a way to simultaneously increase ticket sales and boost their own career. Celebrities and stars will also take on Broadway as a way to make more money off of their already popular name. This is called “stunt casting,” while these celebrities and stars may have an acting ability, producers at the end of the day want their show to draw in audiences and keep their show running as long as possible.

Celebs and stars we have seen on Broadway and/or are currently taking on the stage include:

1. Vanessa Hudgens in Gigi, running until March 2015

2. Nene Leakes as “Madame” in Rogers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella run ended in January 2015

3. Carly Rae Jepsen as “Cinderella” in Rogers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella

4. Stockard Channing in It’s Only a Play, runs ends in June 2015

5. Sienna Miller in Cabaret, runs ends in March 2015

6. Bradley Cooper in Elephant Man, runs ended in February 2015

7. Lance Bass as “Corny Collins” in Hairspray, run ended in 2007

8. Jake Gyllenhaal in Constellations, run ends in March 2015

9. Lisa Rinna as “Roxie Hart” in Chicago the Musical, runs ended in 2007

10. Nick Jonas in How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, run ended in 2012

It seems as though having celebrities have made for a positive impact on Broadway. Fans of various stars get the chance to see some of their favorite, singers, actors and reality stars come to life as someone completely different then they’re used to seeing and it allows the audience to develop a greater sense of respect for them.

Being a Gilmore Girls fan from the time the show started fifteen years ago, I developed such a respect and admiration for actress Lauren Graham, who played Lorelai Gilmore for seven years. When I found out that she was starring as Miss Adelaide in Guys and Dolls, I knew I had to see her perform. Once I saw her come out from the stage wings in a completely different character it really does make you admire them more.

Some critics may see having Hollywood stars and celebrities on Broadway as just a ploy to bring in more money, but at the end of the day if they perform with their utmost ability then that is what matters…great theatre acting.

Photo Sources: 1, 2345678