What You Need to Know Before the 2016 Academy Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Awards season is upon us once again. With the 2016 Golden Globes and SAG Awards already under Hollywood’s belt, the 88th Academy Awards will wrap up the season on Sunday, Feb. 28. 

As always, this year’s Oscars will be filled with hope (we’re looking at you, Leo!), red carpet glamour, and humor as audiences will expect host Chris Rock to throw some comical shade about the lack of diversity in this year’s nomination lineup. 

Some films that have garnered quite the Oscar buzz include Best Picture for The Revenant, which has a total of 12 nominations (you may want to go see that one beforehand), The Big Short, Mad Max: Fury Road and front runner, Spotlight.

The 2016 Oscar Buzz:

Spotlight, a biographical drama, follows The Boston Globe’s “Spotlight” team as they investigate the sexual abuse of children by Roman Catholic priests in the Boston area. With a brilliant cast – Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams and Michael Keaton – Spotlight has been the frontrunner to snag this year’s Best Picture.

Giving Spotlight a run for its money is The Big Short, a biographical comedy-drama film about the 2007-2008 financial crisis and the build up beforehand. With a cast including Christian Bale (nominated for Best Supporting Actor), Steve Carell, Ryan Gosling (ugh), and Brad Pitt, The Big Short has a plot filled with indignation, unlikely heroes and dark humor. 

The Revenant may be the film to land Leonardo DiCaprio his long awaited (and much deserved) Oscar for Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role. DiCaprio portrays a frontiersman who is brutally attacked by a bear in the wilderness and must utilize his survival skills to make his way home and avenge his hunting team after thay leave him for dead. With 12 nominations and Leo as the star, The Revenant is definitely worth a viewing.  

In addition to Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon (The Martian) and last year’s winner, Eddie Redmayne (The Danish Girl), are names to remember in the Best Actor category.

The Actress in a Leading Role race, as per usual, is filled with incredible talent and poise. After winning the Golden Globe, breakout star Brie Larson is looking promising for securing the Best Actress win. However, is it even a race if Jennifer Lawrence isn’t a part of it? Good thing J-Law got the nomination for Joy, so Larson can mirror Lawrence’s win over Meryl Streep a few years back.

Room, a film about a mother and son who are held captive in room for five years, may be the poignant and incredible film to give Larson her first Oscar. Her performance is one of power and resonance. 

While there are many noteworthy and strong performances and films a part of this year’s Oscar lineup, these few are the ones that stand out. Give them a watch before the awards!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

International Studies student at American University.