What You Missed From New York Fashion Week 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

With Milan Fashion Week in full swing, let’s take a look back on some of the highlights of the highly anticipated New York Fashion Week a few days ago. It was a week to remember with incredible shows, monumental moments, Kendall Jenner take overs and exciting new trends.

Aside from the many looks of crochet and pattern blocking that graced the catwalk, this year’s NYFW showcased fringe and face accessories! These trends will be on the rise this spring, but we expect to see much more fringe on bags, skirts and shirts instead of facial accessories. The face accessories made a debut this year and captivated many audience members due to the exaggerated appearances and bold statements they present. 

A model showcasing face accessories on the Givenchy stage

To celebrate 50 years in the business, 73-year-old designer Betsey Johnson did a cartwheel and splits during her show, putting us all to shame and reminding us why we love her spunky and fun style. 

During his show, Tommy Hilfigher literally made a splash when he had his models, led by Gigi Hadid, wade through catwalk water gracefully modeling his Jamaican-inspired swimsuit line. 

For the opening of his show, designer Prabal Gurung gave a touching speech to the audience about Nepal, his home country, which was hit by a devastating earthquake in April. He brought 30 monks to the stage who chanted a prayer for relief effort from the fashion community. 

Givenchy’s show was on Sept. 11, thus the designer paid a beautiful tribute to the day of infamy by hosting its show at sundown on Pier 26. As models paraded clothes designed specially for this tribute, the new World Trade Center glittered in the setting sun.

While there are a number of amazing and noteworthy moments from NYFW, these were some that really resonated with spectators and the world. 

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

International Studies student at American University.