What to Wear This Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Thanksgiving fashion is all about being strategic. You want your look to be chic enough to show your family the cool, successful collegiette you’ve blossomed into, but comfy and roomy enough to stay buttoned through dinner seconds…and thirds. No matter what your plans are for the upcoming holiday, here are a few perfect outfits to feel thankful for. Now the only thing you have to stress over dressing is the turkey.  

1. A Family Affair  

If you’re staying in for dinner with the family, keep your wardrobe low key but festive. Update a plain jeans-and-sweater combo with an embellished sweatshirt and jewel tone skinnies. Accessorize with pearl studs and moto boots for a look that is on trend and still cozy.  

2. Meet the Parents

Meeting your significant other’s parents for the first time? Step it up a notch with a conservative shift dress in a bold, flattering hue and opaque tights. A statement necklace in a contrasting color is trendy but not try-hard and metallic cap toe flats are just impossible to go wrong with. (Added bonus: a boxy dress means lots of extra room for your food baby. Now nothing can stop you!)

3. Parade Pretty

If you’re one of the many American University students living in the tri-state area, you might be going to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City this year. You will be on your feet for a long time in cold temperatures, so comfort is key. All you really need to stand out from the crowd is a statement-making coat and the rest is easy. Slip on your warmest boots and a knitted headband to protect your ears from the chill. A crossbody bag holds the necessities and stays close to you in bustling crowds. 

4. Black Friday Ready

Family, being thankful…those things are great and all, but you know the true meaning of Thanksgiving: shopping. You are a Black Friday trailblazer and nothing will get in your way.  Dress for efficiency in sporty leggings and a fitted tank—perfect for speedily trying on clothes when the line for the dressing room gets out of hand. Layer a snuggly cardigan on top, and keep your head toasty and hair tame with a knit hat. Most importantly, lace up some fashionable sneakers, because shopping is a sport. Don’t let the haters tell you otherwise. 

Photo credits: 

Sweatshirt from J.Crew, jeans from Old Navy, earrings by Ralph Lauren, boots from Frye

Dress from Topshop, tights from Hue, necklace from Forever21, shoes from J.Crew

Coat by Diane Von Furstenberg, headband from Echo Design, bag from Forever21, boots from Sperry Top-Sider

Cardigan from Anthropologie, leggings from Adidas, hat from New Look, shoes by Keds x Kate Spade

Julia Reinstein is a junior at American University. She is studying journalism and hopes to one day write for a magazine. When she isn't writing, she keeps busy as a sister of Phi Sigma Sigma and student body Vice President. Her goals include traveling to Iceland, participating in a flashmob, meeting Hillary Clinton, and owning a mahogany spice rack. She passionately believes in the Oxford comma.