This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Netflix has become a platform for many artists, both new and experienced, to create shows that cater to a very diverse audience. The variety of genres and interests in the platform allows for the creators to share amazing content for viewers of all kinds- kids, adults, and teens- with all types of interests- music, mysteries, and lifestyle. These new Netflix Originals are amazing for any and all viewers and are a great way to spend time in between online classes.

Julie and The Phantoms

Julie and The Phantoms is Kenny Ortega’s newest project based off of the Brazilian television show Julie e los Phantasmas. It follows Julie (Madison Reyes), a teenager grieving the loss of her mom, as she rediscovers music. She meets three teenage ghosts (Charlie Gillespie, Owen Joyner, Jeremy Shada) who are also practicing music, but learn they can only be perceived by the living world when they play with Julie. 

The show features a diverse cast, and progressive plotlines that haven’t previously been explored in depth with children’s shows such as loss/death and LGBTQIA+ romance. Julie and The Phantoms is also reminiscent of Kenny Ortega’s previous works which include the High School Musical and Descendants franchises with its impressive soundtrack.   

Enola Holmes

Enola Holmes is a new Netflix Original Film featuring Sherlock Holmes’ younger sister, Enola (Millie Bobby Brown). Enola discovers her mother is missing and sets out on an adventure to find her and to outsmart her older brother and famous detective. 

Helena Bonhman Carter, who plays Enola’s mother Eudoria, shared that, “I just loved the idea of it. It’s actually funny, because Sherlock himself is quite misogynistic, the original Sherlock. So it’s like a ‘f***k you’”.  

The cast is incredibly impressive, including Millie Bobby Brown, Helena Bonham-Carter, Sam Claflin and Henry Cavill. The movie presents a new and interesting take on the Holmes family as they’ve been portrayed throughout film and literature for the past century.

Get Organized With the Home Edit

This show is perfect for those of us who have recently moved into apartments, or those who just love to decorate and organize. The Home Edit is a brand that specializes in home organization. They’ve amassed a broad following including many celebrities, many of whom are featured in their Netflix Original Series Get Organized with The Home Edit

In each episode they go to a different celebrity’s home and help organize and decorate their space. The lineup includes Reese Witherspoon, Eva Longoria, Neil Patrick Harris, Khloé Kardashian and some everyday clients as well. The show is a lot of fun to watch if you love organizing or need any inspiration!

There is enough new streaming content on Netflix to last us for a while, so keep an eye out for these shows and more!

Sources: (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)

Hannah is a senior at American University. She's studying political science with a focus on race and gender in politics. She loves writing and baking, and can typically be found with a large iced coffee and a pair of knitting needles.