What to Learn from James Franco’s Instagram Fiasco

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Adventurous and naïve, a hiker explores Utah canyons by himself. Suddenly, he falls into a crack in the boulder.  The man’s arm is literally positioned between a rock and hard place. He must sacrifice his arm in exchange for his life.

James Franco’s social media trouble last week is similar to the plotline from his standout movie 127 Hours. Franco’s image is the hiker. The canyon is all of social media. That arm? His integrity! And that annoying rock has got to be the press. Last week, sites delivered some hard-hitting journalism by calling Franco a creep. My poor, misunderstood Franco.

Long story short, the actor-writer-director exchanged direct messages with a 17-year-old girl on Instagram after she caught his eye outside of his Broadway play. The girl then went public and posted texts from Franco on her account. I can’t deny it. He was trying to hook-up with her.

While I doubt that most of us would try to get with someone on Instagram, we can learn from Franco’s social media mishap. Besides this incident, poor Franco gets hate for sharing too much of himself. He’s the selfie king, y’all.  Whenever you share online, keep in mind that everything is public. Be aware of texting, also. You can’t trust everyone. It’s no secret that sexts go around fast these days. Hello, Demi. Private texts are easily shared. Hello, screenshots.

The fallout from “Francogate” has had three reactions: “Gross,” “YAAAS, DM me Franco – I’m 17 too,” or “Publicity stunt!” Professor Franco – he has PhDs, yet he doesn’t know how to use Instagram properly- spoke about the incident.

He’s just lonely! Someone point him to the Tinder app, or a wife, because it’s time for him to make more Francos. 

Image Credits:

1, 2, 3,