This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

There were many groundbreaking election results in the 2022 midterm elections. The first Gen Z member of congress was elected to the House of Representatives and Maryland elected its first Black governor, Wes Moore. 

Moore won 62.2% of Maryland’s vote, defeating his Republican Trump-endorsed opponent, Dan Cox, who only accumulated 34.7% of Maryland’s vote. 

Moore’s win is historic. The governor-elect is not only Maryland’s first Black governor, he is also the third Black governor in United States history. 

Moore will be replacing the two-term Republican governor, Larry Hogan

It is elections like Moore’s democratic takeover that defy the projections of the midterm’s so-called “red wave.” 

Born in Takoma, Maryland, Moore is a Maryland native. He is a small business owner and former CEO of an anti-poverty organization. 

Moore built his career in Maryland graduating from Johns Hopkins University in 2001 and interning for Baltimore’s former Mayor, Kurt Schmoke. 

Maryland is now in the hands of a Maryland native, whose experience shows he cares about the future of Maryland. 

Hannah is a journalism student at American University who is currently pursuing a degree in journalism. She serves as the publishing director at HCAU. In her free time, Hannah finds enjoyment in reading, running, and attending Nationals games.