Upperclassman’s Guide to Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Hello and welcome to American University; home of the eagles, political crazies, and biddies.  It’s our pleasure to be the first to give you the lowdown on American.  This list encompasses everything from food, frats, friends and fashion.  Listen to this and feel free to refer back to it throughout the year.

1) Take off the lanyard

We see you wearing it and it’s the biggest indication that you are a freshman. We will always know you are a freshman, but we don’t want to see you struggle with the lanyard and nametags.

2) Don’t intern right away

I know you were lured in with the idea that you were going to intern at NATO or the World Bank in your first semester to then end your senior year as president of the United States, but take your freshman year to get comfortable. Learn more about yourself because you don’t really know yourself until you have lived on your own. You are already ahead of the game by attending this amazing university, so don’t stress out.

3) Go to a game

There’s spirit at American if you create it and the blue crew is passionate about what they do. The mighty eagles went to March Madness last year and this campus was bleeding red, white and blue. Let’s keep it up!

4) Never ride the shuttle at 2:30 am

Your hopes might be lost at that hour because it takes forever to come and the most obscure people ride it this late at night. One time someone dressed up as Captain Jack Sparrow, in the middle of February with the accent and everything, and was riding the shuttle this late. Hell no, never again.

5) Go to every event that you can

It’s easy to get complacent at this university. Browse the Today@AU and take full advantage of everything. Don’t feel embarrassed to go alone to anything because that’s how you meet people!

6) Don’t be afraid to change your mind

Pressure to succeed is something that everyone at this university shares. It may seem like the entire freshman class comes in determined to change the world with their IR degree. You can change the world in a lot of ways, whether it’s with a broadcast journalism degree or with a psychology degree.

7) Find your frat party shoes

These should be a closed-toe sneaker or flat that is suitable all year. Rain or shine. Please do not EVER wear heels to a party. We repeat never.  Frat shoes should not be your newest or most expensive shoes. Pick the oldest Sperrys you have because there will be many unidentified substances on these shoes forever. Frat safely my friends.

Exhibit A: 

8) Consider Going Greek

Think about giving it a shot. This includes professional fraternities such as the pre-law, community service, or pre-med. When you are at school 1,000 miles away from home, the fraternity becomes family. They help you build a community and create ties you can always count on. The typical stories you have heard at whatever state school does not apply to AU because the Greeks on campus are a breed of their own. Not only do the sororities and fraternities on campus have amazingly well connected alumni, but they are also a great way to expand your network on campus. Check out the Panhallenic and Interfraternity councils for more information.

9) Make time for yourself and for your family

You are going to learn very quickly that there is absolutely no personal space in college. You excercise with everyone, you take classes with everyone, you eat with everyone, and unlike at home, you sleep in the same room as someone. Make an effort to take a day off campus alone at least once a week. Take Saturday mornings to see a new museum or go shopping on your own. It will be a nice refresher and will reduced your anxiety overall. 

10) Floor-cest is a very real problem

We are warning and we are begging you to never enter a relationship with the people on your floor. You are going to see his/her face every single day for your entire freshman year. Don’t do it. And we know what you are thinking, “Oh but it’s so convenient” or “But he/she is just so perfect.” Believe us, it will fade very quickly.  Then both of you will have semi-awkward interactions forever. We highly recommend the all female floor; you may feel more comfortable.

11) Your RA is your friend

Remember that always. Most of the time they are trying to save your ass from whatever stupid idea you have next. However, they are not your mom and they are not a counselor.  They are a great resource to find out about things on and off campus while still giving a student perspective. That being said, Panera and CVS will be your mom for the next four years.

12) Get out there and make friends at events

Meeting friends is always scarier in theory than in reality. Especially at American, there are only a handful of people that came to from the same high school as you and the majority of them are not really your friends. Our biggest advice is to always leave your dorm room and mind open. Get a doorstop and leave it out because people will literally walk into your life. One of our writers stole a brick from Georgetown to use as a doorstop freshman year.

13) Use the library

On a budget? Save yourself some money by not buying all of your textbooks. Most of them can be rented from the library on a 2-hour loan through the reserves desk at the basement of the library. You just have to make the compromise that you will be doing homework in the library on a daily basis. You can also rent any DVD, cameras, tripods, microphones, take beginner to advanced Photoshop classes, and work on a multitude of different software all through the new media center in the basement. The library is vast and expanding. Use it.

14) Find a cause and get passionate.

There are over 200 clubs at American, ranging from the Black Student Alliance to Men of Strength to Taste of DC. Clubs allow you the opportunity to be involved in your other subjects of interest besides world peace. Clubs are also a great way to build a community that share similar interests.

15) Can I get some TENDAAHHSS?

Tenders are the unofficial mascot of American University. Please don’t be the freshman that asks for “chicken strips” or “nuggets”.  When you are running in between classes, hungover, or simply don’t know what to eat, tenders are the greatest comfort of your day. Refer to exhibit A: Our campus cutie 2014. #Tendahs

16) Never take a 7:35 am yoga class

As a morning person, you may have thought this class was going to be an excellent opportunity to start a morning off right. It’s only one credit anyway. “This was a chance I had to take to center my chi, whatever that means, because that what time I woke up for high school, right?” No, you are extremely wrong. Please don’t do it. Please. You will hate yourself every moment and fall over from shear exhaustion. Namaste.

17) Sexual assault happens, but you can be the change

This next topic is sad and unfortunate, but it needs to be covered. Sexual assault is prevalent and though it needs to end, here are some resources. Daniel Rappaport is the sexual assault prevention coordinator. His office is located in the wellness center, which is behind the health center. The counseling center is a fantastic resource as well to talk about anything that has happened.  Be safe and always keep your friends in mind.

DC SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) Program

– 800-641-4028

DC Rape Crisis Center 24-hour hotline

– (202) 333-7273

Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN)

– 1-800-656-HOPE (4673)

18) Please don’t esca-left

Learn how to ride the escalator. Stand on the right, walk on the left. I don’t want to see any of you biddies esca-lefting. If there is one thing that you learn out of your time here in DC, it should be how to properly ride an escalator.

19) Expand your major outside the classroom

For most people, this means studying abroad. We are fortunate to go to a university that has over 150 programs on 6 differnt continents. Take advantage of it! Some students just don’t have the time to study abroad for an entire semester, which is why I encourage alternative break programs. These programs occur over winter break, summer break, and spring break and have a specific theme such as AIDS prevention in South Africa. Andy Hazelnis (’16) is an international relations major focusing on both United States Foreign Policy as well as Peace, Global Security, and Confict Resolutions. This summer he took a trip to war-torn Rwanda in recognition of the 20 years since the 1994 Rwandan Genocide and aided a grassroots program that teaches agricultural and livestock cultivation techniques essential to this population. Hazelnis says, “By going to Rwanda (I had never been out of the U.S. before), I was really trying to gain new perspectives on the developing world and get first hand experience with cultures that I would otherwise never get to interact with.”   

20) Last but not least, remember that college is a time to explore

That means exploring the city while learning more about yourself, but always remember to keep true to whom you are. Some freshmen believe that college is the time to reinvent yourself from high school. Not only is that extremely improbable, but you will hate yourself for it. AU is, for the most part, an accepting community. Find the people that accept you, but most of all, learn to accept yourself.

P.S. Once An Eagle, Always An Eagle #CawCaw 

Mireille Olivo is a senior at American University studying Public Communication with a minor in health promotion. She is a self-proclaimed southern belle, sunset enthusiast, avid rock climber, Quentin Tarantino fan, and smiler.  When she isn't writing for HCAU, y'all can find her giving tours or strolling alongside the Potomac river. After graduation, Mireille plans on pursuing a career in public relations for the political movement.