This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

On Oct. 21, Taylor Swift released her 10th studio album, “Midnights.” Since then, fans have been sharing their opinions and dissecting songs’ meanings all over social media.

Many TikTok users have discussed lines from the album they feel are particularly emotional. A popular trend has already begun of girls looking back on early teen years that felt inadequate while playing the lyric “give me back my girlhood it was mine first” from “Would’ve Could’ve Should’ve.” One user related this line to her abusive relationship when she was only fourteen, another to her lack of independence in her teen years. 

Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

Taylor Swift

As with most albums by Taylor Swift, “Midnights” is inciting a wide range of reactions from Swifties. One user made a video where she sits outside in the rain and dumps wine down the front of her white dress while the album plays. Another records himself in his car screaming the bridge from “You’re on Your Own, Kid.” Several people have related to the lyrics from “Midnight Rain,” saying that they experienced exactly what Taylor Swift wrote about. 

Comparisons are also being drawn between songs off the “Midnights” album and older Taylor Swift songs. One user commented “Midnights is literally the chaotic drunk versions of those earlier songs,” which has since gained 25,200 likes from other fans. 

Hundreds of videos make guesses on who songs are written about. Notably, “Midnight Rain” is thought to be about Taylor Lautner and “Vigilante Shit” about Scooter Braun.

The album has been sparking many emotional reactions, as people share stories of their own pasts as it relates to the songs and open conversations for others to do the same. 

With the album gaining so much attention and sparking trends across social media, it’s no surprise that it became the most streamed album in a day the first 24 hours it was out. Taylor Swift also became the first artist to ever occupy all of the top ten spaces on Billboard’s Hot 100. With the release of this album, she has also become the female artist with the most top ten hits. 

“Midnights” has been so successful in the first two weeks of its release, and it’s likely not going to slow down soon. Taylor Swift also announced that she will be touring this summer, and more music videos of “Midnights” songs are expected to be released soon. 

Annabelle Evans

American '24

Belle is a Senior at American University majoring in literature with a focus in creative writing. She is from the Philadelphia area and loves to read. She enjoys writing on current events, pop culture phenomenons and especially issues impacting women.