Top Spring Break Destinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

As I sit here in the SIS building with a nice gust of wind hitting my face every time the door opens and closes, I cannot help but wish to be somewhere sunny and warm. The sight of snow can be pretty at times, and I do love wearing cute boots and a nice winter coat, but this 20 degree weather is starting to get old. Thankfully, spring break is less than a month away. Many people choose to go home during spring break. It is a time to see family, catch up with old friends, and relax around the house. However, for those of you who are not going home, here are a few top spring break destinations that are reasonably priced, somewhat close to D.C., and warm enough to make you forget about the bitter cold outside. 

1. South Padre Island, Texas

South Padre Island is a great place to go if you’re looking for a non-stop party. The beaches are filled with a classic “college spring break” atmosphere. Hotels and motels align the beaches that fit within a college student’s budget. Some of the past time activities include late night pool parties, kiteboarding and taking a boat tour where, if you’re lucky, you can come face to face with sea turtles. 

2. San Juan, Puerto Rico 

San Juan is a vibrant and colorful city that is rich in history and culture. The island of Puerto Rico has multiple wonders including El Yunque National Rainforest, white sandy beaches and the historic streets of Old San Juan. If you are looking for a more culturally enriching trip where you can practice your Spanish, but do not need a passport and want to stay somewhat close to the East Coast, Puerto Rico is the place for you.

3. Montreal, Canada

Maybe you’re not a beach person and enjoy the snowy weather and freezing temperatures. If so, then a trip to Montreal, Canada might be for you this spring break. Montreal has many art galleries including the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, beautiful buildings including the Notre-Dame Basilica, and natural wonders such as Parc du Mont-Royal. Also, it is great way to work on your French while wining and dining at the Fairmont Le Château Frontenac (a three hour drive away from Montreal), which is one of the most photographed hotels in the world. 

4. New Orleans, Louisiana 

If you are looking for a city with a mix of cultures and unique traditions right here in the United States—look no further than New Orleans, La. You can visit  Bourbon street in the French Quarter where you will find a mix of European, African and Caribbean cultures, dance at one of New Orleans’s famous jazz clubs, and eat some delicious gumbo, which is a soup consisting of seafood, chicken, sausage or okra.

5. Key West, Florida 

Florida is one of the most common spring break destinations for East Coast dwellers. From Miami to Orlando, Florida is a popular vacation spot. Key West, located at the bottom tip of Florida, is a must visit over your spring break. If you are in the mood for a “classic” spring break vacation with strips of endless white beaches with crystal blue waters, then Key West is the place. Some of the tourist attractions include a visit to Dry Tortugas National Park, walking along sunset pier and taking a tour of Harry S. Truman’s Little White House.

Whether you go back home, stay in D.C., or go off on an adventure during your spring break, make sure that you make the most out of the week and take some time to unwind and relax because you deserve it!

Photo Credits: cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5