Top 5 moments from SNL 40

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Unless you have been living under a rock, you know that on Sunday, Saturday Night Live celebrated their 40th anniversary. Tons of celebrities came to pay tribute to TV’s funniest late night sketch comedy show. During this 3 and a half hour show, all of your favorite sketches and characters were brought back to the SNL stage. Debbie Downer, Celebrity Jeopardy, Paul McCartney, Maya Roudolph slaying her Beyonce impression, the list really goes on and on. But for those who aren’t die hard SNL fans or just couldn’t bear to sit for that long to watch, here are the top five moments from the glorious reunion. 

1. Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon opened the show and made all of us want to be part of that friendship. They took us through a musical mashup of the funniest SNL catchphrases and one liners. It was like History of Rap part 5. After that, all of us just waited to see if they would show up again, because who doesn’t absolutely love when Justin and Jimmy get together? #BromanceGameSOStrong

2. The most star-studded Californians sketch to ever grace the SNL stage. That’s right, everyone’s favorite California- bashing skit packed with horrible accents, vanity, and lots of unnecessary directions just got better. Kerry Washington, Kristen Wiig, Taylor Swift, Laraine Newman, Bradley Cooper, and Betty White all came back for this one. It was wonderful. 

Also, Bradley Cooper and Betty White made out at the end. It was one of those moments that made everyone cringe, scream, and then tweet about it right after. 

3. Weekend Update was hosted by Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, and Jane Curtin, as they took us through the best moments in Weekend Update history. Celeb guests then came out to impersonate their favorite characters. Edward Norton doing his Stefon impression was iconicly bad and funny all at the same time. Until Melissa McCatney came out, impersonated Chris Farley’s motivational speaker character, Matt Foley. And then she jumped on the Weekend Update desk and snapped it in half. #SoConfused 

4. Who doesn’t miss Andy Samberg, the digital short king? Well, he teamed up with Adam Sandler to sing a song about breaking. That’s right, a song dedicated to the moments in SNL’s 40 years where the actors broke character. True SNL fans love when the cast breaks, so a montage full of our favorite breaking moments was just AMAZING. Especially, Bill Hader. 

5. Mike Meyers and Dana Carvey brought back their Wayne’s World sketch to list the top ten best things about SNL. Their number 10 was about the live show, in which they called out Kanye West (who was in the audience), and told him to stay where he was. True to his nature though, he got up anyway. But there were two classy SNL security just waiting to keep him down. It was definitely staged but let’s face it, we’ve all been waiting for someone to make fun of what happened at the Grammy’s. #NoKanye #StayKanye

Photo/ Gif Credit: Cover1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Public Communications Major and Multi-Ethnic Studies Minor at American University. Junior. Free Spirit. Dreamer. Master of tripping over own two feet.