Top 5 DC Winter Study Spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

It’s a story we all know too well; during fall semester you’re all about getting off campus, studying outside before the weather becomes crisp, and exploring DC to find those perfect study spots. Then winter rolls around. You have to start putting on and taking off layers every time you move locations, you start digging around your closet for those gloves and you may even have to wear (gulp) snow boots. You begin to dread ever leaving your room, let alone campus, and become confined to MGC and Bender Library. Now don’t get me wrong, I love studying at The Dav during the day and the Mudbox or SIS during the wee hours of the morning, even Starbucks if I’m feeling adventurous. But confining yourself to the AU/Tenleytown area is a dangerous move and a shame in a city like DC. Even during what seems like the endless winter months, DC has a plethora of amazing study spots that are only a metro bus or SmarTrip swipe away. The following are my Top 5 Favorite DC Study Spots that will hopefully serve as a jumping board for your future off-campus studying adventures.

5. Hirshhorn Museum, 700 Independence Ave, S.W.

Best transportation route: Smithsonian Metro

The Hirshhorn Museum on the National Mall may seem like the last place you’d want to study, but trust me, it holds within it a secret, perfect study spot. The third floor has a lounge equipped with a large couch, two large desks, outlets, and to top it off: the perfect view of the National Mall. If you want to incorporate doing work and getting some of your culture on, the third floor lounge is the place to be. Bang out that paper, occasionally people watch from you privileged perch and if you need a study break, walk around the various exhibits the Hirshhorn has to offer.

4. Ebenezer’s Coffee House, 201 F St., N.E.

Best transportation route: Union Station Metro

If you’re feeling particularly adventurous and ready to get far away from campus, Ebenezer’s Coffeehouse is the perfect spot for you. Only a few blocks from Union Station, Ebenezer’s, which is owned by the National Community Church, serves coffee with a cause, offering fair trade coffee and all their profits toward community outreach programs. With a lively feel, Ebenezer’s top level offers various seating arrangements and also has a barren basement/lower level. At night, the basement hosts various concerts and dance classes. However for daytime patrons, it’s the perfect place and space to sit down, take all your books out and dive into your work.

3. Georgetown Public Library, 3260 R St NW

Best transportation route: 31, 32 or 36 Bus

For those of you who need peace and quiet while studying and are sick of Bender Library, take a quick bus ride to the beautiful and picturesque Georgetown Public Library. Fuel up with some coffee and yummy snacks from the various cafes around the area and enjoy the beautiful interior of this hidden gem. If you need to stretch your legs a little, talk a walk around Book Hill Park, right outside the library doors.

2. Baked & Wired, 1052 Thomas Jefferson St NW

If you have a sweet tooth and don’t mind waking up a bit early to get a good seat, then you should head to Baked & Wired for a delicious study session. Be warned, it does fill up fast on weekends, but nothing beats Georgetown’s best cupcake (don’t be fooled by Georgetown Cupcake) or a piece of some amazing quiche and all the coffee and chai a college kid could ask for as motivation. For those of you who want to meet some new people, Baked & Wired is crawling with Georgetown students also cramming and typing away. The perpetual buzz, energy and sweet smells of Baked & Wired definitely make it a prime study spot when the weather is chilly outside.

1. Tryst Coffeehouse/Bar/Lounge, 2459 18th St., N.W.

Best transportation route: Woodley Park-Zoo/Adams Morgan Metro, H4 Bus

For people who feed off a boisterous work environment, look no further then Tryst. If you happen to love coffee, you can thank me later.  While from the outside Tryst may seem like your typical ‘coffeehouse,’ it’s crazy seating will prove you wrong. From armchairs to tables Tryst creates a busy yet welcoming and fresh feel for all who come inside. While it may not be the best place for study groups, you and a friend can definitely sit down, enjoy a delicious meal and indulge in a myriad of caffeinated drinks, each served with animal crackers, while you hit the books. Tryst provides free wifi Monday through Thursdays all day and Fridays until 9pm. Wifi is off Saturdays and Sundays, so save a weekend visit for when you have readings and need that chai to get you through the day.

Photo Sources:

http://www.thegeorgetowndish.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/featured_article_image/article-images/georgetown_public_library.jpg

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/8a/f6/43/filename-view-lounge.jpg

http://ebenezerscoffeehouse.com/