This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

We’re six weeks into school and I’m sure as a freshman there is still so much of the city you haven’t seen, but at the same time, the money in your checking account has probably started to dwindle. Which is why you need to focus on fun and free places to visit in the city. So get out your metro card and pay close attention to my list of the top, free places to go in DC. 

Visit a Smithsonian!

One of the best things about DC is the free museums. If you’re a history buff make sure to visit the National Museum of American History or the National Museum of African American History and Culture. If you love science, head to the National Museum of Natural History or the National Air & Space Museum and learn about the moon landing. If you love art head to the National Gallery and see pieces by Rembrandt or head to the Hirshorn to see an array of modern art. 

Visit the US Botanic Garden!

Although it is not talked about nearly as much as the museums surrounding it, the U.S. Botanic Gardens is a beautiful place to explore. It is one of the oldest botanic gardens in North America and each plant holds its own bit of history. Plus it doesn’t hurt that each nook and cranny is perfectly instagrammable. 

Catch a free show at the Kennedy Center!

Programs at the Kennedy Center are not usually budget-friendly but don’t be discouraged. Every night at 6 pm a free show is put on at the Millenium Stage, tickets aren’t required but you should head over early to secure a seat. You can enjoy local, national and international artists perform music, dances, theater and much more and all you have to do is show up.

Head to A Book Talk at Politics & Prose

Besides having perfect study spots, one of the best things about Politics & Prose is its events. Nearly every day there are Authors coming in to speak about their newly released books or activists coming in to speak about fast fashion or the opioid epidemic. Make sure to constantly check the calendar to see if one of your favorite Authors’ is heading to DC.

Now that you’re ready to explore the city make sure to grab some friends, your camera and your metro card and see all that the Nation’s Capital has to offer.   

Carol Wright is a senior at American University studying Journalism and Business and Entertainment. When she's not writing for Her Campus she is working on her online magazine Nyota.